Soybeans with Switch?

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
Ive often heard that its best to plant new switchgrass following soybeans, what if one were to plant them at the same time? I have 2 seed boxes. Assume I put soybeans (or a few legumes) in the large box and planted my switch in the small seed box and drilled them at the same time in the spring.... Is there enough growth on the switch that first 80-100 days that being in the summer shade of the legumes would really negatively affect it?

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

I have an extremely small space where we did just that. We drilled both 4th of July weekend in northern Missouri. We all lived 6-8 hours away and couldn't rent the drill/had weather problems before then. The soybeans as you could imagine were way behind a normal year's production. The switchgrass did alright at first but never got more than a couple of inches when it was competing for space with the beans. The width of these areas was about a drill's width, so take that for what it's worth.

It's funny you posted this today. I was "frost" seeding some switch today in Northern Missouri and was just thinking about something similar as a strategy. I was thinking about using an annual clover like berseem as a companion crop with switch if they were both drilled in early summer. It would be cheaper than soybeans and I think would benefit the switch more. The only problems would be the lack of bean pods in the fall and you would have to make double the passes with the drill on account of both switch and clover needing the smaller seed box. I might try and do this this summer with a brothers plot. He is planning on drilling soybeans and switch next to each other. Maybe we can include a few test strips of the berseem and soybeans to see what is better.

Never done it but I think a low growing clover lightly seeded would offer ground shade but not shade out the switch. I had clover come up naturally in a switch planting. The deer really like the combination but over the years the clover is being taken over by other taller weeds.

If I am planting a larger area I plant winter wheat in the fall and burndown early spring when I am going to drill switch.I like to keep the area mowed to about a foot the first year switch is planted but don't know why it would work unless the beans are planted to early

I think it would only make sense if you are planting several acres of switch and the beans are at a verry low population.

I think the main reason it is talked about is that planting switch/crp after the field has been in beans is much easier to plant into. There's relatively no residue to plant into compared to corn and the beans from last year will have left a source of nitrogen for the grasses.

I don't see the bean/switch working better than just planting into last year's bean field. The beams will germinate much earlier than switch and be a negative sun block for switch seeds/seedlings.

I think the main reason it is talked about is that planting switch/crp after the field has been in beans is much easier to plant into. There's relatively no residue to plant into compared to corn and the beans from last year will have left a source of nitrogen for the grasses.

I don't see the bean/switch working better than just planting into last year's bean field. The beams will germinate much earlier than switch and be a negative sun block for switch seeds/seedlings.
I agree, And I doubt the beans would produce much as far as a food source goes.

Interesting proposal there Swiffy..

I think if you got a row planter for the beans it may work best, and plant beans at a much lower population. Wider rows may give the switch longer chance at sunlight, as opposed to 7.5" rows which would close fairly quick. Then you're in trouble :)

Only problem I see is you're planting two warm season "crops" together that are competing for moisture, sunlight and nutrients at the same time. How about a cool season crop that fizzles out when the switch takes over? The annual clover + switch may not be a bad idea. Could even clip clover tops around June 1 or so above switch germination? How about spring 4010 peas instead? A little pricier, but work with your seedbox combination.

I've been contemplating cover crop possibilities for switch for some time. I've even thought of a heavy fall seeding of buckwheat and radishes on a clean seedbed, time buckwheat to flower around frost so it doesn't reseed, then frost seed switch over the winter. Residue of buckwheat + radish is minimal, both winterkill and could perhaps keep weeds at bay.. As opposed to another winterkill crop like oats - lots of residue.

Maybe even spring planted combination of winter rye or winter wheat + switch together. Doesn't vernalize.. keep mowing and it would fizzle or rust out around time switch comes on.

I've seen guys plant corn on rows + switch, as the atrazine is compatible with both. Standing stalks just add to the cover.

The spring peas… not a bad idea Bassattakr.

I’d be planting into brome grasses so I feel like putting in a legume would be advantageous to the switch. It may shade it slightly for a month or 2 of the first year… but is that really going to negativity impact the switch? Even with beans… wouldn’t the nitrogen outweigh the fact that they shaded for a while the first year? I don’t know?

I don't know about planting both at the same time but most of my best stands of switch & other native mixes have been established by simply broadcasting seed in February on bean stubble. Preferably when there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

What is the field right now? Spring planting anything has more challenges with weeds. Not that it cant be done. I'dgo with a crimson clover, or perhaps crimson clover mixed with some perennial red clover. Getting ready to plant that switchgrass, spray it down with gly to kill the crimson and almost kill the perennial red clover. Whatever weeds are in there will be taken care of with the gly. I'd be easy on what fertilizer you used, saving the bulk for the switchgrass later.

It’s all 30 yr old brome pasture now

Is burning an option?

Know your enemy brome grass.

This is what pheasants forever says about controlling bromegrass

Not sure what the history of the demise of the QDMA, but I thought this article was interesting. What to do with your switchgrass. Spray it dead in the middle for the deeer to eat fallow forbes. And hinge cut nearby. Most articles focus on one goal or task, kind of blends why your might be doing it.

Been reading alot about grasses. Looking for a perennial forage, low input and maitenance, and can handle some ATV light traffic on a snowmobile trail. I got about 2 miles to work with. Will be mowing it atleast once if not 2 or 3 times a year. This spot wont create any privacy, mainly forage. Looking for it to be somewhat tall. Tall enough where an ATV rider would be worried they'd flip their ATV on a log. I do not till or seed the center tire path. They keep the middle, me and my deer get the sides......