Sorghum

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
For those of you who have not planted it, sorghum is a flash in the pan but it burns hot. I have been waiting to try a kill a booner that stays pretty close close to one of my sorghum fields. I checked the field (three acres) on Saturday. It looked like the deer were just starting to hit it. Yesterday evening it looked like it had been hit hard, and I decided to hunt a stand between the field and bedding this morning. It worked perfectly - deer did exactly what I expected and saw a nice 140 inch 8 at 25 yards as well as smaller bucks. Didn't see my big buck, but checked the field when I came out and the sorghum heads were GONE. When sorghum gets ready deer destroy the field in short order. If you are going to plant it, keep in mind it is not going to do a lot for your deer, but when they start on a field they will stay after it until gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, mine might not make it to the gun hunt then. Here is a shot of mine from last weekend.

I can't tell much from that photo? What type is it? I can't imagine any short sorghum making it to gun season anywhere with a plot that size.

A mix from NWTF, about an acre in size

file.jpeg

From a few weeks ago

I don't think deer will eat some of that mix regardless of what time of year it is. They will hammer the WGF when the seed head is ready. But, they will not likely touch the Sudan. The NWTF makes that mix for turkeys and not deer :).

I planted 3 acres of WGF sorghum once and my experience was similar. Once it hit a certain point the deer mowed it down very fast. The problem I saw "literally" was the deer would grip the stalk and zip the whole head off in one pull.

They got a mouth full but the gluttons let seeds fly everywhere in doing so. Then they moved on to the next seed head.

I don't think deer will eat some of that mix regardless of what time of year it is. They will hammer the WGF when the seed head is ready. But, they will not likely touch the Sudan. The NWTF makes that mix for turkeys and not deer :).

The NWTF make stuff for turkeys, who knew.:D It does make good cover though...almost too good. I mowed a path through it try to encourage deer to travel through it.

Can anybody tell me which photo is which plant, I have an idea, but just a guess.

The mix I planted this year was grain sorghum, ewheat, milo. millet, rye, oats, hairy vetch, soys, peas, buckwheat, red clover, sunflowers, radishes.

Early on

About a month later

Mid July when I planted my brassicas I spread a little in through the sorghum mix.

I'm using this sorghum mix as food but also screening for my brassicas and cereal grains.

3rd pic is German Foxtail Millet. WAG, but the 4th pic is the hybrid milo and last pic is the sorghum sudan.

Last edited:
3rd pic is German Foxtail Millet. WAG, but the 4th pic is the hybrid milo and last pic is the sorghum sudan.
That is pretty much what I though. Foxtail is easy, and the millet is the "fuzzy" one. The 3 different kinds of Sorghum is tougher ... Sorghum Sudan the tallest... I think the second picture maybe the Forage sorghum, but not sure.

Never planted a mix like that one, but it sure seems to draw deer. I gotta believe turkeys and grouse would love all the seed in there.