So ugly only a momma could love it

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
She ain’t prettty, but as long as you don’t turn the lights on she is pretty sweet! LOL
Roxbury Rusett wont be making any appearances at a grocery store near you, but she is worth growing if you got an empty spot for an early season apple. Found in 1630 in one of the original Pilgrim colonies.

The red ones are Lil’ Benny which is a pretty little apple. Both are pretty good eating apples as far as I am concerned with strong disease resistance traits it’s hard to go wrong with either of them.

IMG_0982.jpeg

I have several Roxbury russets planted. Was primarily for cider. How are they for eating?

I have several Roxbury russets planted. Was primarily for cider. How are they for eating?
I like them. I feel like they are sweeter than a lot of apple varieties. As with most russet types the skin is thicker (they are supposed to store very well), it doesn't bother me to eat the skin and all. I know some folks just can't get by the "sandpaper" feel to the skin, and would need to peel them prior to consuming. Very juicy. They do oxidize pretty quickly when you slice them, so again a "negative" from the marketing standpoint. Sometimes you just have to decide that ugly tastes as good as pretty!

Hows roxbury with yellowjackets? Becoming a bigger problem rhan I though it would be.

Would liket o see some pics of williams pride when theyre ready.

I can't say about the Yellow Jackets on the fruit. We don't seem to have an over abundance of them. Damn near every other wasp/hornet species, but not them so much. Again it has a slightly tougher skin so if I was guessing I would say it would fair better than many varieties, but that is just a educated guess on my part.