So much for frost seeding

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
When you’ve got a foot + of very wet snow + ice and this is your 10 day forecast.. got a feeling I’d need to wear waders to walk in the muck that will be my fields this weekend if I went out there like I was scheduled to. Really hoping the river doesn’t take the disk harrow I left out over the winter too.

BF74D6B3-5C1B-4BD6-9A2F-199656CED1C9.png

Last edited:
The silver lining with this winter in MN and other North Central states is that we have had so much snow cover early in the winter that the ground never froze. I am involved with a research project where we have +70 data loggers all over the upper midwest and we didn't have a single one that had freezing soil temperatures below 2 inches. That should mean the snow melt will move through the soil a little easier than most years. This might even help recharge some groundwater tables. I'm not familiar with your area, but I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Too much groundwater at my place already but I’m hopeful all the spruce trees I planted last spring do well due to the snow coverage over the winter at least.

I might run up there on Saturday and throw the seed I want to if I feel like I’ll be able to walk on the ground half assed decent.

Carved out a half acre food plot this winter in the middle of the woods. No frost whatsoever, pulled and burned stumps all winter long. Agreed, no frost seeding this year…hopefully!