Small plot location???

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I'm in the process of deciding where to put a small plot in the timber (13 year old popular slashing). My land is the one with the pins on it and the fields are the neighbors that I have permission to walk on to access my land. The SW pin is on a trail where the deer cut the corner from one block of timber to another. The yellow dot line was potential food plot but at this point is not going to happen so don't worry about that on the map. My goal is to make a plot in the SW corner of the land so that when deer head out to the neighbor's west field for the night and to hunt it on a NW/N wind during the rut for cruising bucks.

If you were to design a plot in the SW corner to access from the south, what would it look like? I'm looking at 1/10-1/14 acre in size. I want to be able to cover the entire plot with my bow.

Attachments

• SW corner.jpg
    SW corner.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 29
Whats in the fields the past few years. I'd say travel paths dictate plot placement. Food plots are fun, but you may not need it. Hinge cut in the same direction on either side, then thin out a path a little bit. Make a path hitting that corner. On the more southern field, almost looks like there's a brushier spot alongside the field. MAybe make a path going to that spot. Deer travel differently during the year, but seeing common trails in the snow is well worth the scouting effort.

You make a nice secluded easy path for them that goes for awhile, they'll use it.

Bow is early season in NY. Deer are still heading to water often. Almost think the NE corner of the northern field would be too.

A coworker of mine hunts in a field nextdoor to his sister's house. He cleans up a corner of the field with some lime and fertilizer and throws clover seed in a spot. Deer enjoy that corner more.

The fields have been crappy hay for the past number of years.

I suggest a food plot trail of some sort along their natural travel path. Set up a staging area with a mock scrape to hopefully congregate the deer and offer better shots.