Skinny does...

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I have a really nice stand of clover (about an acres worth) with 1/3 acre of oats planted at the bottom end of it. Put some corn out for a late summer inventory of the bucks we're after. Well, this is the reason we have food plots that resemble putting greens by November 1. We are the only hunting on 3 sides of the property, with significant sized tracts that dont hunt at all. So if we do our habitat work and plant for deer, we will draw them.

The discouraging thing I saw here was how scrawny some of those does are. That's a lot of rib for a late summer deer. Something to be concerned about? Or is it just the nature of the beast.

This is a 1.5 acre field right by the cabin. I have similar deer numbers on the opposite end of the farm in a kill plot we put in. I'm not complaining. We're in this to put deer in our fields, but it's gonna be hard to outplant for the browse.

Also, while he's not the biggest buck on the property, I have 10 days til I get a crack at this guy. i'd love to see him up close and personal.

Attachments

• DOE 2.jpg
    DOE 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 65
  • DOES 1.jpg
    DOES 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DOES 3.jpg
    DOES 3.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 71
  • GARAGE 9.jpg
    GARAGE 9.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 73
That is an awesome buck! Good luck!

I’m coming off 11 years of an old farmer neighbor having people kill as many does as possible every year. Like 30 plus a year. So I like my new neighbor and anti doe killer.
But when we got pics like that. It might be time to kill some does.

just do after you kill the stud....

I think they look healthy. Deer tend to look skinny until they get their winter coat on.

Thats a really nice buck -- good luck.

Maybe some of those does are planning on going to the beach? ;-)