Short forks are actually super handy

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Not so much for picking up pallets any more when they are only about 30" long. But when always dealing with rocks and stumps they work great to push into the ground and lever stuff. If they were the typical longer ones it would be very hard to work into the ground like I do. This type of work is always best in the spring when the ground still has lots of moisture. I welded up my own frame from 4" angle and bought some of the quick attach parts from local Deere dealership to match with my loader mounting. I've used this setup for at least the last 15 years. Just need to be smart about how to do stuff, a tractor is still not a bulldozer. A rotary cutter or 3 pt disc makes a good counterweight and puts some good down pressure on the rears when pushing stuff.
DSC01622 (Large).JPG

Years ago I let a neighbor borrow my tractor at times and one day these showed up by my door. He said they were too short to be used at work anymore as they had been ground back from working on concrete for years at their shop. They make a pretty good pry bar to roll and flip rocks that are way too big for my rig to lift but levering and pushing at same time works well.
DSC01616 (Large).JPG
DSC01617 (Large).JPG
DSC01618 (Large).JPG
DSC00277 (Large).JPG

Digging around smaller stumps is also possible
DSC01414 (Large).JPG

good work getting that rock out... doesn't always happen on the 1st or 2nd try. You're handy enough with those short forks to set the rock right in the back of someone's SUV for their yard!

Actually the big rock next to my tractor in the one pic weighs way too much to pick up. I can ease my forks underneath and "lift" what I can but really just trying to get some weight off to slide Mr Rock off to the side of field. Planning to go downhill is always a smart choice too. Otherwise it is flip and roll, flip and roll.