Shooting at Hogs With Thanks to Indiana Jones

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Lest the thread title sound crazy, it's true... had help from ol' Indiana Jones in killing a hog earlier this week.

So for those willing to stick with me a minute or two here's the back story... saw this commercial a while back and the flickering of a light bulb went off in my head.

Few days later my Mom is hitting me up for Christmas ideas and I tell her I have got something fun in mind. Here's a clip of my daughter and me playing with the system in the house just after it arrived and I was setting it up.

Wireless system sends instant alerts to base up to 1/4 mile distance. With hogs rooting around for acorns in the dark within 100 yards or so of the front of my house I'm thinking that the system will be JUST the thing I need to put a hurting on them.

Threw two of the three sensors that came with the unit on both sides of my yard right in the middle of my live oaks, then waited.

Sensor.jpg

Birds chirp signaling east yard hits sounded at 9pm, 10pm, and midnight. Using Bushnell IR night monocular see that all the hits are from deer (midnight was NICE buck). Tell my wife I'm going to sleep on the couch so I'm at the ready... 2:30am get bird alarm again - doe. Then about 4am Indiana Jones sounds alert from the west sensor. Crack door open to scan the yard and sounder of PIGS.

Strong wind is blowing eastward so I sneak upwind of the hogs to the fence line... prop my 6.5 creedmoor with day/night scope up om the fence... find the biggest sow in the group and send heat her way.

With daylight close, sneak back to the couch for an hour or two more of shut-eye with hopes coyotes won't be too quick to the scene.

First light get the hog, give a call to a friend who's been begging to take some meat home to his parents for Christmas, and we get to work making his request come true. Find sow is pregnant with 7 piglets... if counting right, have taken 4 sows now this year and total pigs including piglets prevented from running around next year is up to about 28.

Hog.jpg

Cuts.jpg

Not quite as fancy as cell cams, but at just the cost of a few Benjamins (and no recurring cell phone bill) a GREAT HELP in signaling when moments of opportunity arise and also handy way of knowing when someone's at our gate. Most fun toy I've gotten in quite a while. For those old enough to get the reference the quick kill left me filling a bit like this... :emoji_slight_smile:

The-A-Team.jpg

Way cool! Good job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Telemark, if I'd seen an ad for the unit you shared I'd have been VERY happy getting it instead! The Guardline system has tons of fun bells and whistles and am glad the unit I got has the 1/4 mile range as my driveway is long enough nice having the strong signal, but for the purposes of targeting the hogs nothing fancy needed and they're visiting spots well within 200 yards of the house. Day comes the unit I got gives out I'll likely go with a cheaper option like the unit you shared!

@Telemark tell us more about how you use it for yotes, I'm interested. Having recently moved to my farm, I would like to try a few things to get a yote!

And I'm old enough to remember the "A Team" :emoji_older_man:

-John

It only works about 50 yards, with fresh batteries. Luckily, that's all I needed. Perhaps someone could tweak them to work at a greater distance, but I never needed to.

I typically used two, just to up my odds. One pointed outward to get anything walking by, and the other focused right on the bait site. They habe different channels and different alarm tones. Then i just threw all meat scraps from the kitchen/dinner table there. Sometimes I made meat aspic or rice porridge and filled a bowl with it. Use glass or ceramic, as they can steal plastic bowls. And aspic or porridge will freeze if it's too cold out. I also staked deer bones there with a strong rope, so they have to stand there and chew on it.

Snow and/or full moon works for ordinary scopes. Some people use red lights. And of course a night scope or thermal works every night.

I usually patterned them with a camera to see what time they usually come in. Then on hunting night I just wait for the telltale "BINGBONG" and creep out with a silenced .223 and shoot them.

Every time I see your place, I think wow ,,, "nice shack and property - your kind of living the dream down there, deer hogs fowl ... you got it all !" Even a tree stand with a plantation view :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Every time I see your place, I think wow ,,, "nice shack and property - your kind of living the dream down there, deer hogs fowl ... you got it all !" Even a tree stand with a plantation view :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Laughed out loud at the "tree stand with a plantation view" comment. That one's DEFINITELY placed for hogs alone (though deer visit the oaks at night too)... one of the hogs favorite nighttime spots as nothing but acorns to find right there, and trees produce well with open area, good light, and no competition like they would have in woods.

Think I've shared before we bought the place for what the land was worth alone due to the shape it was in... abandoned 7 or so years, roof that had leaked, busted out windows throughout, one upstairs room that had floor rot so bad you could fall through it, and stucco exterior you could stick your hand through in a few spots. Spent full year and all the money we had getting it back livable.

Somewhat joking as I DO LOVE IT (most of the time / though caring for it keeps me tired) reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines of all time...

Should share the buddy I gave the meat to said it turned out awesome... he used it to feed a Christmas family get-together of about 30 people. Said it was all gone in about a 1/2 hour. :emoji_yum:

IMG_20181225_130512.jpg

IMG_20181225_130525.jpg

Now I'm hungry!

Nice story, thanks for sharing!