Seeding ratio help

animal1x

A good 3 year old buck
Hi everyone. I'm pretty much a newbie to food plots. Could someone help me out on how to figure the seeding ratio in a custom mix of forage oats, winter peas, and crimson clover? I'm in East Central MS.

How will you prep soil and seed it?

They are small plots that total just over a half an acre. One just under a third of an third of an acre and one just over a quarter acre. They have been plowed, disced, fertilized. They will be broadcast seeded.

Per acre of your mix...
Broadcast without incorporation (not sure if discing-in the oats and peas would effect seeding rate very much. DO NOT disc-in clover seed, you'll bury it too deep.)
~12 lbs crimson
~48 lbs oats
~13 lbs peas
These figures are from the SmartMix Calculator on the Green Cover Seed website.

Thanks Tap. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Tap
Green cover seed website is your friend. If you have a high deer density, increase your oats. I would recommend added rye grain or wheat to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the replies. I cut the amounts Tap gave me in half as both plots together only total about .58 acres. Got one plot, the smaller one, done today but got rained out before we could get the second one done. There is one other small spot I could possibly, and most likely will, get worked up and put a small patch in. Deer density is not high right here. Biggest share of the place is in 18 year old pines. Hard to grow deer or turkeys on pine straw, lol. Hopefully we can get someone in here in the next six months or year to get some thinning done. Then I can concentrate on the habitat management. Timber industry here in MS is not good for small private timber owners right now.

Green cover seed website is your friend.

And addictive to nerds.......i spend hours there .......

bill