Seed Viability

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I have a chance to buy some discounted oat and clover seed that I expect is a year or two old, and been stored in a warehouse. Vs some seed that is "new".

I admittedly don't know what new is- as in when it was harvested, but call it safe to assume it was harvested more recently than the older seed.

Specific to oats and clover- should I expect that the germination of the older seed will be much lower? How much?

Much will depend on how the seed was stored. Stored in a cool dry place germination rates will not drop as fast. For "new" seed, just check the seed tag (required) on the bag for germination rates For leftover seed, you can do a "rag doll test". It is basically taking a sample and germinating them in a damp rag and seeing what percentage germinates. You can look up "rag doll test" for details.

I will say this. I typically plant before the VNS Winter Rye arrives at the local coop. I won't pay a premium for a name brand. So, I often buy left over WR in the winter and the manager gives me a price break. I store it myself for the following fall. I don't notice enough drop in germination rates to adjust seeding rates. Most perennial clover seed is hard and will keep even better than cereal.

Thanks,

Jack

Clover has a very hard seed coat and the seed germplasm is greatly protected by it. Oats on the other hand are quite the opposite. I would expected poor germination after planting "old" seed oats. Is there a tag on the clover seed? Should be and it will list the last test date, germination percentage and percent hard seed. Those numbers tell the story. If there's no tag I'd be in a hard negotiating mode and willing to walk away at anything other than a super bargain price.

Clover has a very hard seed coat and the seed germplasm is greatly protected by it. Oats on the other hand are quite the opposite. I would expected poor germination after planting "old" seed oats. Is there a tag on the clover seed? Should be and it will list the last test date, germination percentage and percent hard seed. Those numbers tell the story. If there's no tag I'd be in a hard negotiating mode and willing to walk away at anything other than a super bargain price.
Thank you. This would be mail order, so no way to see the seed tag on either the oats or clover. I've mostly decided to take a pass on this deal. I'd rather pay more for known seed thank less for no seed