Season Delayed

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Well, at least for me. Our archery season starts on Saturday, but with hurricane remnants coming through, they are calling for 90%+ chance of rain on Sat and Sun. It drops to 40% on Monday, so that may be my first hunt. I simply won't bow hunt in the rain. With a gun, I can limit my shot selection to shots that have a high chance of dropping the deer in its tracks. Trying to blood trail a bow shot deer in the rain significantly reduces the chances of recovery beyond my threshold.

I guess patience is a virtue, but when the season approaches, mine grows short.

Good call. Bow hunting in the rain is unethical in my eyes. Good luck following a blood trail. Margin of error is too small in my eyes

Archery season in Idaho is over in my area.

Tag soup 4 me!

It never rains here.

Last edited:
Looks like the weather is finally breaking up. I should be able to get my first hunt in tomorrow afternoon! Time to put down the tools and tractor and pick up a bow!

Finally, I got out this evening and took out a long-time turkey hunter/new deer hunter. I was only in the stand for about 20 minutes when a fawn came in. I knew at this time of year, mom would follow soon. Sure enough, a few minutes later a nice doe stepped in and give me a 30 yard broadside shot. I took it. It looked good but I could not see the arrow after she ran. I got down and found the arrow where she entered the woods and it was covered in good blood. I headed back to camp to change into my trailing clothes.

When I go back, I found the blood trail was pretty much non-existent. This particular stand is not very high and with the terrain, the arrow entered and exited at about the same height. I was sure the blood was just pooling in her chest. I walked circles with the FLIR and found her before too long. My buddy texted me. He had shot a long-beard about the time I shot my doe. He stayed in the stand for deer and shot a spike about the time I finished quartering my doe.

I guess a little patience pays off. 😄

Reactions: 356
Good call. Bow hunting in the rain is unethical in my eyes. Good luck following a blood trail. Margin of error is too small in my eyes

I saw a bloodhound trail a deer after a solid inch of rain overnight. He was on the trail in less than 15 minutes with no visible blood. It wasn’t raining when the deer was shot but started after wards. Pretty impressive to watch actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a bloodhound trail a deer after a solid inch of rain overnight. He was on the trail in less than 15 minutes with no visible blood. It wasn’t raining when the deer was shot but started after wards. Pretty impressive to watch actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, having access to a good tracking dog would change the equation!