Scrape trees

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Curious what all are doing for mock scrapes, I've seen some ideas that have me interested. Anyone have good success with a home grown idea or a type that you got from online?

vines vertical vs horizontal?

Scent vs no scent

Where are you putting them on the property. If on a plot where at?

Last ? Does a cedar post buried make my fruit susceptible to CAR?

More the better or one for a site?

Lots of info and opinions out there on mock scrapes. It’s not rocket science. If you build it, they will come.

Chest high licking branch and clean underneath is about all that matters. The rest is all preferences. I do many with existing trees on field edges and many with a post 25 yards in front of a stand. Pee in it for fun if you want.

I dont make the scrape, I make the situation. Bend a tree branch into the trail at an intersection in august or so. They start using it, or use the one the last year or two.

Dont thnik a cedar post ill give you any problems.

I put a Basswood tree up (7-8 inch diameter ?)in Iowa and the bucks destroyed it . Insane

I’ll do that again ! Great cam pics

Vertical vines on trail intersections with a 20-25 yard bow shot are at nearly all my stand locations with a camera on them.
I have had several vines up for 4 years now and the deer continue to use them.T_00018 (2).JPGT_00001 (1) (5).JPG10230536.JPGMFDC7443.JPGT_00006 (3).JPG
Incredible opportunity for inventory before, during, and after the season. I won't hunt a location in late October that doesn't have a scrape by it.

Agree on the vertical vine. Works like a charm. Got tons of pics from fawns to the bigguns checking them out

Vines on the trails for sure. On the edge of a field I would look to see what bucks are currently using. In our area, nearly every shingle oak has a scrape under it. Literally every one. Where we don't have a shingle oak but would like to create a mock scrape, we cut a branch in September from a shingle oak and then ziptie it vertically to another tree branch so it is about 4-5 feet off the ground at the lowest point.

About to find out if the vines are the way to go. Just hung this one last week, kicked it bare and took a leak in it. LOLView attachment 50285
Looks a little taller than I normally put them, but may be deceiving. I normally set mine at belly button height and I'm 6' tall. Some fawns may not be able to reach them if taller, but no big deal

Looks a little taller than I normally put them, but may be deceiving. I normally set mine at belly button height and I'm 6' tall. Some fawns may not be able to reach them if taller, but no big deal
I think it appears higher than it actually is. I tried for between waist and chest high. Once I get a few pictures I will tinker with the height.

I think it appears higher than it actually is. I tried for between waist and chest high. Once I get a few pictures I will tinker with the height.
Pro tip that I've found to work best for setting height is to hang a longer vine than you need and cut with a manual hedge trimmer to the height needed after it's hanging. I've found it to be much easier than trying to figure the height while tying the rope.

In Ohio I try to use a young beech tree 20-30 yards from my stand.

Put a couple vines out two years ago with a mock scrape and some scent. Have not touched them since, and deer continue to check them out year round. Just yesterday.....

Screenshot 2023-02-28 065444.png

I have had mixed results with mock scrapes, but it appears by some of these posts, maybe I am putting them too high. I am 6' tall and was putting them about neck/chest high.

VV

I have had mixed results with mock scrapes, but it appears by some of these posts, maybe I am putting them too high. I am 6' tall and was putting them about neck/chest high.

VV
Try waist to belly button height and I think you'll see a drastic improvement. I've experimented with higher and didn't see the use I was accustomed to seeing at the lower height.

Are you using vertical vines or something else?

Try waist to belly button height and I think you'll see a drastic improvement. I've experimented with higher and didn't see the use I was accustomed to seeing at the lower height.

Are you using vertical vines or something else?

Vertical grape vines

Vertical grape vines
Yeah, that's too high. You want the does and fawns to be able to reach these, and they will remember forever. It is hilarious to watch some of the fawns hit these and play around. The big bucks don't mind them being low as long as there is scent on them. I have years of video on my single scrape tree. I'd like to change it up but the years of video at the same distance is too valuable for sizing up bucks.

Thanks for the insight. Anyone run cedar or wood posts with a branch attached or all vine?

Thanks for the insight. Anyone run cedar or wood posts with a branch attached or all vine?
Yes. We have done the cedar posts with an attached branch. They definitely work and for creating a mock scrape and a communal rubbing post. Our issues with them is that you have to essentially cement them into the ground. And, we have yet to find a really great way of attaching the scraping branch.