Rye Seed - buy now or wait for fresh seed

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
I'm placing an order for this year's fall seed soon. The vendor i'm buying everything else from has rye available now that was harvested last year. I typically buy when the co-op has fresh seed in august. Price is basically a wash but it's one less trip to the store in August for me if I had it delivered with the other seed.

Anyone think there would be a notable difference in performance? This stuff is all getting surface broadcasted on top of existing pea/oat/brassica/clover blend plots around labor day so wont have great soil contact and zero soil coverage.

Last edited:
I picked mine up a month ago already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two bags of oats I bought on sale in December from last year. I've never had a problem with leftover seed.

I like to wait for fresh seed, always better odds. WR will be coming off the fields soon.

I've bought last years seeds for the past two seasons. Just hard to get what I want when I want it otherwise. I do not think there is a problem with germination....especially on rye. my 2 cents.

I haven't done germ tests that I recall anyhow but last year my pioneer dealer offered me yr old rye seed for a discount to the fresh seed while acknowledging the fresh stuff would germ higher. I took the current stuff. I've used 3 yr old stuff from my basement and it still grows but again I didn't do germ % checks.

I’ve seen seed at the farm supply store that has a new label stuck on top of last year’s. The germ rate was lower by a marginal amount. I’m assuming the supplier did a germ test and provided them the labels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen seed at the farm supply store that has a new label stuck on top of last year’s. The germ rate was lower by a marginal amount. I’m assuming the supplier did a germ test and provided them the labels.

The seed sales guy knows the topic is on my mind and stated "tested(Germ is 96%), and certified for 2023 season so really there is no difference if you buy now or wait until later". Not sure if that means it was re-tested for germ rate for 2023 or if that's what it was last summer and was certified through 2023 at that time? Already have 150# plus leftover from last year as it is.

I would have no issue with last years rye seed. Soybean is one of the only seeds I have seen enough reduced germination to even notice in year old seed.