Rye grass as a food plot?

jsasker007

5 year old buck +
Questioning whether or not a guy could plant Rye grass(not winter rye) as a monoculture food plot? I know everyone tries to keep it out of mixed plots because of the aggressive growth and taking over other things but curious about intentionally planting rye grass all by itself as a minimum maintenance plot that would only need timely mowing. Anyone planted it by accident and wound up being pleasantly surprised? Thoughts?

I would keep it as far away from my property as possible. We planted some about 10 years ago before we knew any better. It gets everywhere and is difficult to manage, even in non-grassy perennial plots.

Typically the ryegrass that is included is the annual ryegrass. It seeds aggressively and provides little value compared to pretty much any other forage. You literally could not pay me to put it into a food plot now.

If you are looking for a perennial grass plot, I would consider looking at intermediate wheat. I am going to try some in a very small plot and test the forage values throughout the year (for deer). I think it might also be interesting to try for turkey and quail.

Yeah I don’t see the value? Just plant clover if you need something perennial and easy. Zero upside to ryegrass.

Are you talking High sugar rye grass? Or just rye grass that you plant in your grass seed to help start your lawn?
I know from a past experience with high sugar rye grass, that deer do eat it, but as Hoyt said, it spreads bad, I still have some in my plot I havent been able to kill in 15 years.
If you are talking about just rye grass seed, I dont think they really eat that much, but what do I know.

I was thinking about doing just high sugar rye grass in an isolated plot. I have a couple of clover and chicory plots going for several years already and love the ease of having them. It's starting to come back to me now about the rye grass being more trouble than it's worth. The spot where I need to figure out what I'm putting in there has been an experimental plot for at least 5 years now. I keep trying different things and nothing ever turns out worth a damn there. I definitely want to do a perennial plot to get away from constant planting and this spot is usually fairly wet in the spring. Maybe I'll try some Alsike clover that can take wet feet for a couple of weeks. The area stays soft enough that it's probably June before I want to drive any equipment on it. I could plant some oak trees back there too I suppose. One of these years I'll get something going that works.

I was thinking about doing just high sugar rye grass in an isolated plot. I have a couple of clover and chicory plots going for several years already and love the ease of having them. It's starting to come back to me now about the rye grass being more trouble than it's worth. The spot where I need to figure out what I'm putting in there has been an experimental plot for at least 5 years now. I keep trying different things and nothing ever turns out worth a damn there. I definitely want to do a perennial plot to get away from constant planting and this spot is usually fairly wet in the spring. Maybe I'll try some Alsike clover that can take wet feet for a couple of weeks. The area stays soft enough that it's probably June before I want to drive any equipment on it. I could plant some oak trees back there too I suppose. One of these years I'll get something going that works.
If it is an isolated spot, plant it. Deer did eat it, I had thought about planting some on a hill side to stop wash out, but instead planted shrubs.

Does rye grass turn sweeter after a couple of frosts or does it have the same attraction to the deer during it's entire cycle? Being it's a "rye" I thought maybe it would grow later into the fall of the year? Minnesota

I see a lot of the B.O.B. mixes will have rye grass as one one the cheaper fillers in their mixes.

I think I'll just play it safe and learn from others on this one. I was kinda surprised that it's in a lot of food plot mixes.

Does rye grass turn sweeter after a couple of frosts or does it have the same attraction to the deer during it's entire cycle? Being it's a "rye" I thought maybe it would grow later into the fall of the year? Minnesota

I planted rye grass once and it spread pretty good. Seeds in the deer's fur probably transported the seed. It was a bear to try and eliminate, probably worse than grass like foxtail.

Curious, why are you considering rye grass given the potential issues? Is there some unique benefit over other less problematic options?

Do you have plenty of dogwood growing naturally at your place? It sounds like a good spot to plant a lot of browse like dogwood and viburnum and throw some clover in as well.

I use a good bit of high sugar rye grass. In isolated plots it with clover will come back year after year. If goal is beautiful plots don’t use it. If goal is low maintenance plots it’s perfect imo.

Sucraseed has one called sweet spot that is an easy button. I have it in several hidey hole plots I rarely mess with but do pretty wrll

Questioning whether or not a guy could plant Rye grass(not winter rye) as a monoculture food plot? I know everyone tries to keep it out of mixed plots because of the aggressive growth and taking over other things but curious about intentionally planting rye grass all by itself as a minimum maintenance plot that would only need timely mowing. Anyone planted it by accident and wound up being pleasantly surprised? Thoughts?
Every food plot in the Deep South has it, whether it was intentional or not. Deer will eat it. A lot of times, people think they have a nice cereal grain stand and it’s really 75% ryegrass. Hard to ever get rid of.

I planted rye grass once and it spread pretty good. Seeds in the deer's fur probably transported the seed. It was a bear to try and eliminate, probably worse than grass like foxtail.

Curious, why are you considering rye grass given the potential issues? Is there some unique benefit over other less problematic options?
I know it's a good strong grower and I already have some clover and chicory plots going. I'm not real fond of planting every year and thought maybe it would be a decent option with minimum maintenance. Don't know if it has a lot of nutritional value but if it's still green and growing after other things turn brown and are done for the year maybe it would extend growing forage for deer on my property. I would have an isolated plot away from my other "crops" so it shouldn't get into them and take over. Was just kinda kicking the idea around. I might try to clear out some of my swampy ground and try some far away from my other plots just to see what happens. I'm all for something that competes well and only needs a mowing here and there. Getting too old and lazy I guess. Don't have a lot of time to fuss with plots anymore but still want something growing that deer would use.

Do you have plenty of dogwood growing naturally at your place? It sounds like a good spot to plant a lot of browse like dogwood and viburnum and throw some clover in as well.
Yeah there's dogwood and serviceberry coming in strong after I did some clearing with my excavator. I may have gotten a little carried away when my clearing. Once I start with the excavator I find it hard to stop.

I'm guessing that if I would plant some rye grass with clover I would want a clover that gets fairly tall? So it doesn't get smothered out? I'm trying to go 100% perennial for my future plots if possible. Annuals do great and deer love them but I'm looking to be able to mow a couple of times a year for maintenance. I've never used chemicals...YET.

I know it's a good strong grower and I already have some clover and chicory plots going. I'm not real fond of planting every year and thought maybe it would be a decent option with minimum maintenance. Don't know if it has a lot of nutritional value but if it's still green and growing after other things turn brown and are done for the year maybe it would extend growing forage for deer on my property. I would have an isolated plot away from my other "crops" so it shouldn't get into them and take over. Was just kinda kicking the idea around. I might try to clear out some of my swampy ground and try some far away from my other plots just to see what happens. I'm all for something that competes well and only needs a mowing here and there. Getting too old and lazy I guess. Don't have a lot of time to fuss with plots anymore but still want something growing that deer would use.

Yep, I get it. The more info you get on here and other places the more you feel you need to do with your food plots. I am always looking at trying to simplify what I am doing. Have thought about alfalfa, just don't know enough about and how it impact or limit what I could also add especially WR and clover in the fall.

Yep, I get it. The more info you get on here and other places the more you feel you need to do with your food plots. I am always looking at trying to simplify what I am doing. Have thought about alfalfa, just don't know enough about and how it impact or limit what I could also add especially WR and clover in the fall.
Agree tree. Early all I wanted was perfect plots. Every year I want easier plots more and more.

@SwampCat has simplified down to wheat and durana and has beautiful plots.