root makers

ethompson

5 year old buck +
I have some chestnut trees 2-4ft tall coming sometime this week or early next week. I am assuming they were not grown in root makers. Burnt Ridge Nursery is where I I bought them from. What are the opinions of the HT folks on putting these trees in root makers at this size? I was planning on planting asap, but the thought of RM's crossed my mind. If I do put them in RM's, what would be the best RM"s to buy?
I like the root system the RM's produce. Thanks

It will depend on the size of the rootball that comes with them. Most upstream branching occurs in the first 4" before the prune. Rootmakers are a great idea if you are getting trees you can't get in the ground this year. For example, if you got bare root trees in late spring, hot weather is approaching, and you can't provide supplemental water in the field. Instead of planting them in the field, it would be reasonable to put them in rootmakers and care for them at your home over the summer.

The beauty of rootmakers is the system of containers. 18's prune the tap root, and when they are full, I transplant to 1 gal and then 3 gal RB2s. This moving from container to container each roughly 4" larger than the previous maximizes the root system. Because they are pruned at the tip, no energy is lost. When we prune by hand, we are discarding tissue that required energy to build.

So, don't expect the same results from putting a tree that is already 2- 4 feet tall into a root maker. Much will depend on the trees you get. I did buy a few AU Buck chestnuts from the wildlife group and a few seguins as well. They were between 2 and 4 feet tall when I got them. I put them directly into 3 gal RB2s. Keep in mind that they were actually grown in roottrapper bags before I got them, so the root system was already dense.

I don't know if your trees are container grown or bare root, or B&B. I've also purchased apple rootstock, grafted them, and grown them for a season on my deck in rootmakers. The size of the first rootmaker depended on the size of the rootstock. They don't have a tap root because they are clonal. They have such week root systems to start with, I need a container large enough to fit all the roots as I don't want to lose any.

If your trees were grown and shipped in smooth containers, you'll need to check them for a circling or j-hooking roots and prune them by hand. If they were grown in the ground and dug up, the spade they used to extract them will have pruned the roots.

You will just need to see what you get and then decided how to handle them.

Thanks,

Jack

As always very much appreciated the reply. When they come in I will try to remember to take pics and put on HT. I think it would be best to to put them in the ground. I’m going to plant differently this year. In a raised bed type box with half rose soil and native dirt. Something different. Thanks

If you are going to build a raised bed, look into a Missouri Gravel Bed. I almost built one of these, but decided I was getting too old to benefit from trees so I scaled that aspect of my habitat improvement back.

If you are going to build a raised bed, look into a Missouri Gravel Bed. I almost built one of these, but decided I was getting too old to benefit from trees so I scaled that aspect of my habitat improvement back.

I will be planting trees of all types as long as i am physically able to do so

I derive enormous personal gratification/"benefit" from planting baby trees

Further, the legacy will be enjoyed by future generations of all forms of life

bill

I will be planting trees of all types as long as i am physically able to do so

I derive enormous personal gratification/"benefit" from planting baby trees

Further, the legacy will be enjoyed by future generations of all forms of life

bill

I agree! I've gotten a huge amount of gratification from the work I've done with permaculture over the years. Much of it was from the learning aspect, but much was from looking at the results and realizing that it would not be there had I not planted it.

One reason I added permaculture to my management program was because of the long term impact. Even if no one manages for deer after I'm unable, these improvements will benefit deer for multiple generations to come. However, as I'm getting older and facing more physical challenges, there are is less of me to go around. I've always been spread too thin with too many balls in the air. I recently sold my huge stash of rootmaker containers to guys on this forum. While I won't be the one planting high volumes of permaculture in the future, hopefully others on this forum will and I hope my posts on here contribute to that.

Thanks,

Jack