Root Box - anyone every tried it?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +

I haven't tried that particular unit, but air layering really depends on your location and how easily/quickly the tree you are cloning. The best method, especially in northern climates is to bend a limb down and mound soil over it. Native hunter showed that with Hazelnuts on another thread. It can be done with other trees. When the growing season is short, some trees won't produce enough roots before the root freeze. I've seen it done with containers like that, plastic milk jugs cut and taped, and even plastic wrap. The further south you are, the sooner you can start in the spring and the more time roots have to develop.

One trick I've seen is to place a wire tightly around the branch for a few weeks before air layering. This evidently causes auxin to collect promoting roots. I think the particulars of the device holding the roots is less important than the other factors in success.

Most times I've seen videos of these kind of boxes being demonstrated, they use very easily rooting trees.

Thanks,

Jack

......At 24.97$ ,you can buy a 2 year old tree!

bill