Rookie tree cutting??

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
So i feel stupid asking this, but to those of you who are experienced in tree cuttings... willow, poplar, dogwood, weeping willow... whatever. WHERE exactly should the cutting be taken from? Like what part of the tree branch? And WHEN is the time to take the cutting? Do they need to be at a certain stage with the budding? Can they be cut when dormant or do I have to wait for a certain time?

If there's a link to a youtube video that explains that would be great. Im trying to learn more while doing this and would rather avoid wasting my time by getting some tips from you experts first.

Thanks!

I get mine when they're dormant and I shoot for pencil size to 3/4" ( pinkie size to thumb size ). I cut an angle cut on the bottom just so I can remember "this side down" and a flat cut on the top, I make them 1-2' long. Some of the cuttings will push in the ground hard so I have also bought a cheap set of drill bits from Harbor Frieght for pre drilling holes to make it easier to push them in the ground. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-916-in-58-in-25-in-long-wood-bit-set-3-pc-68824.html Push the cuttings in so there is about 2-3" showing above the ground.

There are 2 different types of cuttings hard wood cuttings and soft wood cuttings.
Hard wood is last years growth that you cut and overwinter (I prefer to do it in sand)and usually by fall you can have a pretty good root system.

Soft wood cuttings are this years growth that will start coming out in spring. Wait till about June and you can get your cuttings from the new growth. Softwood cuttings will traditionally start rooting in a month vs about a year with hard wood. Remove all the leaves except the top few on the softwood

as far as the size about the size of a pencil and smaller works well. In the picture you will see a small setup I use. Small plastic container with holes drilled in the bottom with sand from my creek. Coarse construction works well. my cuttings are only about 8”-9” long this way. I have found the longer the cutting the more energy it takes to get it growing. Smaller just seem to take off faster.
Picture below is my hardwood cuttings that are just waking up this spring. sand willow, ROD and American beauty berry.

cut off any branch up to the size of a pencil and cut each piece with 4-6 leaf nodes and plant.

S

5DD5FC44-9520-4368-83EC-9BCE883C00D8.jpeg2ADD2D2B-1CB3-474D-89AA-ADBC41987D9E.jpeg

Thanks for the pointers guys. I wondered if it mattered to use ANY piece of the shrub or if it needed to be the new growth. This will help!