Roller crimper

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
I came across a bunch of material over 15 years ago and it's just been sitting around. I have recently come across more free material and decided to finally put it all to good use. For anyone with roller crimper experience can you have to many "blades"? The material I have leaves a couple of options.

I dont have a large cylinder to weld the blades to.

Option 1: weld it all up with the blades set at 6" spacing.

Pros: quickest build, less blades equals more crimping pressure on each blade.

Cons: Open style design leaves the possibility of material getting wrapped around crimper

Option 2: weld it all up so there is more blades

Pros: heavier, no gaps between blades

Cons: Less down pressure per blade, longer build time

I'm leaning toward option 2 but want to make sure it is heavy enough to actually terminate the cover crop. (I will be building it with a tray above the crimper for added weight if needed)

Thoughts?

My 2 cents S.T.Fanatic....I wonder if a cylinder with fewer blades will have a tendency to kind of "thump" along as each blade rolls over to the next blade? I imagine it being a rough pull as it kind of hops along behind your tractor or ATV. A cylinder with more blades will probably provide a soother roll and more crimping points and thus better termination. I'd go option 2.

My 2 cents S.T.Fanatic....I wonder if a cylinder with fewer blades will have a tendency to kind of "thump" along as each blade rolls over to the next blade? I imagine it being a rough pull as it kind of hops along behind your tractor or ATV. A cylinder with more blades will probably provide a soother roll and more crimping points and thus better termination. I'd go option 2.

That's why the blades are put on in a "chevron" pattern.

That's why the blades are put on in a "chevron" pattern.

Exactly. Was going to mention it but thought that was beyond the ability of a home builder or welder. It's certainly beyond my abilities.

I got a start on it last night. I didn't have time to do much but I cut some steel to length and drilled some holes. I'll keep you updated and try to remember to take some pics along the way.

How big is this gonna be? I'd hate to do the more blades route and it not weigh enough to do it's job.... But I'd also hate for it gum up and not be usable with less blades.

How big is this gonna be? I'd hate to do the more blades route and it not weigh enough to do it's job.... But I'd also hate for it gum up and not be usable with less blades.
The roller crimper portion will be 60" by approx 20" It won't be all that heavy so I'm going to have to add weight but I have that planned in.

3d586a1905d230ee5fe85c3f3b58668f.jpg
a2eb79f2de0de04663cc93d1d91f610d.jpg
c8d6e1a3505ec8547c7f182d7995c204.jpg
9c5c4f2bcee299cf8f5cff077c3c6259.jpg
565a29d4c7bc041d82589f388269086e.jpg

More pictures in the upcoming days. All free metal. Originally I wanted to have it front mounted for the tractor but I’m just going to do it on the cheap this go round. If it works out I may make plans for a better version in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.T. - Nice job! It looks like you've got quite the ability to built this with that workshop and setup. Looking forward to more photos.

S.T. - Nice job! It looks like you've got quite the ability to built this with that workshop and setup. Looking forward to more photos.

I was thinking the same after seeing the pics. If any homebuilder has the ability top add the crimpers in a chevron pattern it certainly looks like STFanatic can! :emoji_thumbsup:

I worked on the crimper several hours this weekend. Just need to finish the hitch. Should be done with it tomorrow afternoon.

665b5dfd6daa383bb8effd020bda02a2.jpg
f6c00727cd398451ba9a69f2c8d6c927.jpg

I have my doubts whether or not it is going to be heavy enough to actually "crimp" enough to terminate rye or whatever else I use it on. I guess I'll find out next June. If it isn't i'm going to just cut it open and fill it with concrete and weld it back up again. That's an easy thing to do when working with metal.

Looks well built!

What kind of bearings did you use STF?

Didn’t. Just a greased sleeve. I will more than likely do some modifications to it this winter. Bearings being one of them. I want to cut it open and fill it with concrete and weld it back up. I really don’t think it is heavy enough as is. With the extra weight I think the greased sleeves won’t hold up even though this thing isn’t going to be doing more than 2 acres maybe twice a year. That’s even a stretch.

0fcee3aa0b71366c778ba64adb533f69.jpg

Cut open 3 of the five chambers and filled them with concrete last night. Going to weld it back up and put it to use this afternoon. I’m estimating but no less than 400# of weight was added to it.

looking forward to more updates. Exciting build.