Riley? For you guys from the Nort

j-bird

When you guys talk about "Riley" are you talking about the same Aldo Leopold "Riley" being talked about in the U of W-Madison "Land Ethic" class?

j-bird, are you thinking Camp Ripley? I don't recall anyone talking about a Riley?

So it is different - I assume you are talking about some sort of military facility (since it is "camp" Riley). It was just a question - I wasn't sure either way. Thanks Wiscwhip.

No problem j-bird. Riley Game Cooperative was started in Western Dane Co in WI back in the 30's by Aldo Leopold. It was originally started as a pheasant shooting preserve. I do believe it was "disbanded" after about 10 years. Camp Ripley is a Military Base in Central MN that is still in operation today.

Camp Ripley used to be the best place in Minnesota for mature bucks that was north of the southeastern part of our state. State records were killed here. Many bow hunters from Wis. came here to hunt the limited entry hunts. We used to see several bucks a day and usually would see a trophy over a two day hunt.

Now most hunters average seeing one deer per day when hunting there. Locals do not care to even apply to hunt there anymore in many cases. Camp Ripley is managed by the same person who manages the area where I live. Businesses are feeling the hurt from the decline of the Camp Ripley hunt.

That is one aspect of the hunting industry that I am not aware that we have much of here. NOBODY comes to Indiana to hunt deer! That's just fine with me." We also don't/didn't have the mass fluctuations of people from town to the "wilderness" for deer season either. This is just based on my experience and knowledge of the past - we just don't seem to have the level of tradition and have never been considered a true top deer destination.