Resources on hinge cutting

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I'm starting my planning for 2021 and am interested in using hinge cutting to thicken up some low quality thin timber stands. I am trying to find some resources that show visually the how's and why's of hinge cuttings for improving bedding and creating travel corridors. I see a lot of videos online that talk about it at the ground level and its overall benefits, but its a little difficult to visualize how or why trees should be positioned in a certain direction over another.

If I am going to go through with hinge cutting, I really want to make sure I am doing it right and making the most of my time.

I believe hinging to create an overhead canopy to get them to bed is overrated. Done it and haven't seen it become preferred bedding....unfortunately. We now prefer hinging/girdling/dropping trees to get sunlight to the ground in areas they already want to bed.

I believe hinging to create an overhead canopy to get them to bed is overrated. Done it and haven't seen it become preferred bedding....unfortunately. We now prefer hinging/girdling/dropping trees to get sunlight to the ground in areas they already want to bed.
That's a good point. I'm sure more is going into where they are bedding than just visual cover. In this case, I am hoping for both more light hitting the floor and for reducing the line of sight in this stretch of woods. Also, I'm hoping to use the canopy of fallen trees as natural tree cages to protect some more desirable tree species I plan on planting after doing the cutting. I'm just struggling figuring out directions on how to fall the trees just with the hope I get lucky and do encourage more bedding.

I’ve had them bed under the canopy of over head cover that I’ve hinge cut. But it’s not like that became their only preferred place.

I’m with everyone else. I do it to get sunlight in to thicken things up. That turns out to be much faster than trying to drop tree precisely on another cut tree to build over head cover.

My only bit of advice is when you do start hinge cutting keep in mind low cuts create blockades that deer walk around. Shoulder high cuts create cover they can walk under.

I wish I had some pictures of mine, but I dont have any because when I am in the woods working, I forget to take pictures. But my land was rather thin at ground level, and I wanted to do something about it. Basically I walked it and looked for areas I wanted thicker, and marked undesirable trees, and I would drop about 5 in that area, then move a couple hundred feet and find another area, and repeat. It created pockets of thick downed areas. Then after about 3 years I would see the understory getting thicker, and liked what I did, so I repeated it in other areas. So I always had pockets of fresh hinged trees through out the thinner areas. In time in helped a lot. I didnt want to make a big long term mistake, that would take 20 years to repair.

As for your questions about which direction to drop them, and how high. I had this idea of creating a trail, with roadblocks so to speak. But deer went where they wanted to anyhow. I have some cut waist to shoulder high, and some I would cut next to the ground. Maples I would cut next to the ground to get the extra sprouting from the stumps, not only is it extra food, but it thickens the woods up even more. I havent done any new cuts for a few years now, but there are downed trees, that deer will lay along, but it is getting easier to see through the woods again, so it may be time to start up the saw again.

Trees larger then 12 inches I would try to hinge lower, and if it broke off, at least I didnt die. Always look up on the tree you are cutting down, and around at tree tops that are in contact with the tree you are cutting down, make sure there isnt any widow makers dangling. Also pay attention to where the tree will fall, and trees it will hit on the way down. I have had a 4 inch dead branch snap back and fly about 50 feet back at me, and land just behind me, while I was standing in knee deep snow. Now I wait until the snow wont impede my exit route. Safety first!