All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replanting apple trees from suckers?

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I have a old farmstead in northern WI. There is a very old large tree that I was pretty sure was some kind of apple, but I have never seen a apple on it. Last weekend I was up there and it was full of flowers and there was small offsprings popping up all over. Many of these were full of flowers too. I thought I would try to transplant some. When I dug the first one up, it was growing from one of the large roots from the parent tree. Is there any chance it will live and turn out to be a productive tree?

I took some sucker cuttings this year. I tried to get as close to the roots as I could, and it had some of those little bumps that occur prior to the roots forming. I checked them a few days ago, and they have inch or two long roots.

I graft to root suckers every spring.

I graft to root suckers every spring.
That's my plan for next year. I had to cut off a lot of the tops because there was rabbit damage. They're only from a Sargent Crab, so they'll be naturally dwarfed, but I figured I could plant them in a lot of places that I wouldn't want to plant trees I paid for, OR just use them as experiment trees, or even just as pollinators.

I moved two suckers this week. I don't spend too much time on them, but put them in a group exclosure and put a small tube/cage over them. Maybe 1/3-1/2 live with no care.

How much of the roots did you get?

If you got enough it should live. To give it a better chance you could cut back the top by 1/3 to help it along. Once it gets roots under itself it'll take back growing.
The tree was about 6 feet tall. I wasn't expecting it to be attached to a root that big. I would say it was about 16"long horizontaly and about 2 1/2 inches in diameter where I cut through with shovel.The other two I moved were farther away from tree and had more of a vertical root.

It might be tough to keep a 6' tall transplant alive unless you're able to water it frequently. But it's pretty easy to dig up smaller suckers and have them live - but you never really know what kind of apple tree you'll end up with. I usually dig up a few suckers every year and I throw them in a large pot and baby them in my yard all summer until I transplant them in the fall. None of them have produced fruit yet, but they seem to be pretty hardy.