Removing grow tubes

TCW

Yearling... With promise
One of my many projects for this spring is removing the plantra grow tubes from my 3 year old trees. Here are some pictures of the process.
-The beforeIMG_3375.JPG
-after removing the rocks that were holding down the cheap fabric and raking around the tree IMG_3376.JPG
-after removing the tubeIMG_3378.JPG
-after removing the lower branchesIMG_3379.JPG
-after installing a 36"x16" piece of aluminum window screenIMG_3380.JPG
-after installing a 3'x3' piece of 4oz fabric with 6" staples and rocks for double protectionIMG_3382.JPG
-after adding a 12.5'x5' piece of welded wire fence and securing it with (2) 5' pieces of EMT.IMG_3383.JPG
I am doing this to (10) crabapples, (5) persimmons, (6) pear, and (5) chestnuts. Then moving on to replace landscape fabric around my (21) 7 yr old apple trees.

One of my many projects for this spring is removing the plantra grow tubes from my 3 year old trees. Here are some pictures of the process.
-The beforeView attachment 17932
-after removing the rocks that were holding down the cheap fabric and raking around the tree View attachment 17933
-after removing the tubeView attachment 17934
-after removing the lower branchesView attachment 17935
-after installing a 36"x16" piece of aluminum window screenView attachment 17936
-after installing a 3'x3' piece of 4oz fabric with 6" staples and rocks for double protectionView attachment 17937
-after adding a 12.5'x5' piece of welded wire fence and securing it with (2) 5' pieces of EMT.View attachment 17938
I am doing this to (10) crabapples, (5) persimmons, (6) pear, and (5) chestnuts. Then moving on to replace landscape fabric around my (21) 7 yr old apple trees.

Is that material permeable to water? I hope so. Black fabric can cook the ground underneath, killing beneficial microbes.
The trees look really nice.

Is that material permeable to water? I hope so. Black fabric can cook the ground underneath, killing beneficial microbes.
The trees look really nice.
Yes sir. It is ECOgardener water permeable fabric. I will be covering it with pea stone before summer to prevent any "cooking"

I never had good luck putting fruit trees in tubes,they seem to get some kind of mold

Reactions: TCW
Suddenly, I feel like my trees have been treated as orphans! Well done TCW, they look great.

They look great! I never thought of using EMT, definitely cheaper than t-posts.

They look great! I never thought of using EMT, definitely cheaper than t-posts.
I use EMT for stakes and love it. Costs just over $1 per 5' stake. I have an old blade for my chop saw that I use to cut the 10' conduit in half. They are great if you have rocky soil and can't use PVC.

View attachment 17932
-after removing the rocks that were holding down the cheap fabric and raking around the tree View attachment 17933
-after removing the tubeView attachment 17934
-after removing the lower branchesView attachment 17935
-after installing a 36"x16" piece of aluminum window screenView attachment 17936
-after installing a 3'x3' piece of 4oz fabric with 6" staples and rocks for double protectionView attachment 17937
-after adding a 12.5'x5' piece of welded wire fence and securing it with (2) 5' pieces of EMT.View attachment 17938

Now, THAT's how you protect a tree!!!!!!!!

bill

Reactions: TCW