Removable tree tubes

mnbirddog

Yearling... With promise
Are there any removeable tree “tubes” that anybody Recommends?

One of the tubes I've used is Protex because they were the least expensive when on sale from forestry supply. The come in flat sheet. They have tabs/slots that you are supposed to connect to make the tube. They are not vented. Rather than use the tabs/slots provided, I used a drill press on the flat sheets to drill holes on opposing sides that I use cable ties to close. This makes the tubes a bit larger diameter. I used the same drill press with a larger diameter bit to vent the tubes where I wanted. Because these are wrap around style instead of slide over, they can be removed without cutting them by clipping and replacing the cable ties.

I've also used Plantra tubes. These are slide over type tubes and are not made for easy removal, especially if the tree is branching above the tube. They are more expensive and vented. I remove mine by simply slitting them vertically down the middle of the venting. I then unwrap them, clean out the tree and wrap them back around. I then use cable ties through the venting holes to reapply them.

Thanks,

Jack.

^^^^^^^ this is a pretty cool idea

By this time in the life of the tree, the primary risk for injury is from deer antlers.........

bill

^^^^^^^ this is a pretty cool idea

By this time in the life of the tree, the primary risk for injury is from deer antlers.........

bill

Exactly. I had a few trees well too large to be hurt by browsing and the tubes were filling with crap and becoming an issue. I removed them. They had never been touched before by deer, but by the end of the winter, they had the crap rubbed out of them. I think the moisture in the tubes kept the bark soft making them even more attractive for rubbing. I will be re-tubing them this year before antlers develop.

Some of my other chestnuts were getting large enough that the tubes were becoming restrictive. These are the plantar tubes I split. When I re-applied them, I used two cable ties for each connection. I slid one through the slots on either side of the split. I then connected the second tie end to end to the first. This allows a few 8" pairs of ties to allow the tube to expand another 8" in circumference. I don't connect the tubes to any stakes or such. I want the tube to spin around the tree if a deer tries to rub it with antlers. I'm hoping this frustrates the deer and he moves on.

Thanks,

Jack