Redfield Apple/Crab Cross

TonySoprano

Buck Fawn
If anyone has Redfield Apple/crab cross from Whitetail Crabs planted , how do you like them as a draw for deer ?

Last edited:
I have one that I planted 2 years ago. It's one of my best growing trees and has bloomed every year. I haven't had it planted long enough to know when it drops. Next year I will probably leave some fruit on it.

Unless you got a billion apples, the deer will eat them. I believe they like sweet just like we do. Redfield is acidic. I grafted one and let it grow for a year, but then dug it to make place for a 2nd empire tree. That's my wife's favorite tree. Refield drops mid november.. I put that tree in a small foot diameter cage. The birds left their fertilizer all over the leaves. That tough little tree survived. I learned my lesson, I put a burlap cap over the small tree cages. Regular 4ft diameter cages not an issue.

I regretted digging it, but only have so much room for so many trees. I planted it to be used in hard cider. Gave hard ciders a good try last year, they just burn my stomach up too much. So, my focus is baking/applesauce and not cider so much. Will likely press it and make some for others though. I can't remember what happened to it, I thought I gave it to a coworker. It is good for zone 3 which is my camps USDA zone.

Here's what cummins says about redfield. Redfield is wolf river crossed with a Russian crabapple known for red flesh fruit and great disease resistance. Wolf river already isn't bad far as issues go. Still very popular at large stores like home depot.

They say it's not good for wildlife planting. Those statments can be very subjectional. Deer love apples, they will eat their favorite if giving options, then they will eat others. Some just won't care, easy meal around some seclusion.

enterprise, liberty, hewes, and golden hornet are great for deer and sold my most mom n pop deer tree places. Waiting for it to grow, but I think his crossbow is his best specialty species. I have 30-06 and droptine growing as well. Harrison is another good hard cider tree that drops apples late. It's about the best one apple in a vat variety to make hard cider from. Had those growing too and gave them away.

Cedar apple rust really messes up some apple if not treated for. Droptine is one of those. My red cedars are loaded with orange blobs every year. Likely be top working my droptine and even pristine for another variety.

I am interested in those late dropping trees. I got snowshoe hares and grouse that would enjoy those after a -10 degree night at camp in febuary. Been wanting to try that winter gold tree.

You should tell us about where you live, what soil you have, and what apple trees problems you may get. Certain diseases in the area, insects, drought issues. Black Arkansas is a very good drought resistant tree. I think almost anyone should plant one or two as a drought year plan B. IT desn't produce as much apples as a regular tree, but during a drought that is nto a bad thing.

Also, he sells mostly B118 rootstock trees. IF you call, he may have some trees on other rootstocks.

Unless you got a billion apples, the deer will eat them. I believe they like sweet just like we do. Redfield is acidic. I grafted one and let it grow for a year, but then dug it to make place for a 2nd empire tree. That's my wife's favorite tree. Refield drops mid november.. I put that tree in a small foot diameter cage. The birds left their fertilizer all over the leaves. That tough little tree survived. I learned my lesson, I put a burlap cap over the small tree cages. Regular 4ft diameter cages not an issue.

I regretted digging it, but only have so much room for so many trees. I planted it to be used in hard cider. Gave hard ciders a good try last year, they just burn my stomach up too much. So, my focus is baking/applesauce and not cider so much. Will likely press it and make some for others though. I can't remember what happened to it, I thought I gave it to a coworker. It is good for zone 3 which is my camps USDA zone.

Here's what cummins says about redfield. Redfield is wolf river crossed with a Russian crabapple known for red flesh fruit and great disease resistance. Wolf river already isn't bad far as issues go. Still very popular at large stores like home depot.

They say it's not good for wildlife planting. Those statments can be very subjectional. Deer love apples, they will eat their favorite if giving options, then they will eat others. Some just won't care, easy meal around some seclusion.

enterprise, liberty, hewes, and golden hornet are great for deer and sold my most mom n pop deer tree places. Waiting for it to grow, but I think his crossbow is his best specialty species. I have 30-06 and droptine growing as well. Harrison is another good hard cider tree that drops apples late. It's about the best one apple in a vat variety to make hard cider from. Had those growing too and gave them away.

Cedar apple rust really messes up some apple if not treated for. Droptine is one of those. My red cedars are loaded with orange blobs every year. Likely be top working my droptine and even pristine for another variety.

I am interested in those late dropping trees. I got snowshoe hares and grouse that would enjoy those after a -10 degree night at camp in febuary. Been wanting to try that winter gold tree.

You should tell us about where you live, what soil you have, and what apple trees problems you may get. Certain diseases in the area, insects, drought issues. Black Arkansas is a very good drought resistant tree. I think almost anyone should plant one or two as a drought year plan B. IT desn't produce as much apples as a regular tree, but during a drought that is nto a bad thing.

Also, he sells mostly B118 rootstock trees. IF you call, he may have some trees on other rootstocks.
I live in New Jersey but have a Hunting / retirement property in the south zone 7

I have one that’s been in the ground since 2021 but no fruit yet it’s kinda spindly but is probably 10-12’ tall. I think the gypsy moth caterpillars and Japanese beetles really like this tree which has kinda delayed it somewhat..I’ll try to get a pic later..

Zone 7, You property's south of new jersey? Early this year, USDA redid the zones. You could be zone 8 now. The last time they redid the map was 10 years ago.

Chill hours may be an issue for you. Check out your chill hour map. There's chemical in the tree that tells it to stay dormant. IF you dont get enough dormany, then you do not get the tree to flower or flower well. Keep an eye on bloom group too. Redfield is a decent bloom group, a 3. Early bloomers sometimes can have a bad crop every other or every third year from frosts.

I have one Redfield from WC. Pretty tree. I believe it’s 4-5 years old. Kind of a slow grower in my heavy clay soil. Decent crop this year but the raccoons are also fond of the fruit and have been breaking limbs on it.
IMG_1342.jpeg

I have one Redfield from WC. Pretty tree. I believe it’s 4-5 years old. Kind of a slow grower in my heavy clay soil. Decent crop this year but the raccoons are also fond of the fruit and have been breaking limbs on it.
View attachment 66497
Nice Looking Tree