All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Osier

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have or know where I can buy about 50 cuttings, 12 inch, I thought I had ordered some and checked. Apparently I forgot or entered something wrong, because they have no record and I have no record of charges for them. I have a stream bank I want to do some work on and wanted to put them in afterwards. I've got ninebark and arrowwood and hazelnuts and want to add red osier in the mix.

In our area you could go for a drive on a gravel road and cut 50 cuttings for free from a road ditch. There are usually spots along the highway right of way or RR right of way that are mowed annually and have lots of red osier dogwood growing wild. I usually pick up a couple dozen cuttings this way every year and the following year it's ready to be cut again.

They are not common here in SC. I have several very small ones growing in my one foodplot, but they won't be big enough for a couple more years.
I've checked with several online sources, but they only have larger seedlings now.

Ski mask + pruning sheers + darkness + town = cuttings.

Case the joint during the day, strike at night. :D

"Tonight at 5, a local man has been arrested for what was initially reported as a potential break-in. Police later discovered he was trying to get cuttings from one resident's dogwood bush for his hunting property."

Totally legal to harvest willow cuttings on state owned lands in WI(with permission) as long as they are for personal use and not sold for a profit.

Last edited:
Problem is that I have never seen a red osier anywhere around here. It is not really all that common in SC. I'm not driving to PA just to get some cuttings. :) I don't need them that bad. A friend on the dark side is going to send me some. It pays to know people.

I'm a yankee. They would probably throw the book at me. I'm too old to outrun them.:)

I will have 50 extra bare root Red osier seedlings this spring that you can have for $30 and shipping if you are interested. Works out to $.60 per seedling.

Oakseed, when you are ready send me a PM and I'll take them off your hands. I have another project I'm going to be working on and I'll need some more.

Totally legal to harvest cuttings on state owned lands in WI as long as they are for personal use and not sold for a profit.

Didnt know that. I will double check on it tomorrow but that comment may have opening a can of worms for me.

Didnt know that. I will double check on it tomorrow but that comment may have opening a can of worms for me.
I may have been a bit broad in my assessment of that rule, I will post the verbiage from the DNR below. It appears willows are free game, ROD may not be, and one needs permission from the "property manager" whom ever that may be, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about the ROD cuttings when you talk to them?

Additionally, willow stems not larger than 2 ½ inches in diameter, from species that
are not endangered or threatened, may be collected for personal noncommercial use
by the collector for purposes such as trap stakes, after first obtaining the property
manager’s approval.

I don't want anyone to get in to trouble so I changed my initial post to read "willow cuttings".

I have a ton of silky dogwoods that I will be getting cuttings off of if your interested in some of those send me a PM.

You guys that do cuttings, could you describe your method. Do you wrap them in a damp cloth till roots start to grow?

You guys that do cuttings, could you describe your method. Do you wrap them in a damp cloth till roots start to grow?
The best thing to do is to cut them before they start budding and stick them in the ground right away. You want to plant them in the soil before they start rooting out. I cut a slant on the bottom about 1 inch below a bud . The top about 1 inch above a bud cut flat. Push 2/3 underground into some kind of weed barrier.

^ that works.

I've started a few indoors (for S's and Giggles). I plan on putting them in my garden for a year. The process is the same (for hardwood).
Cut, treat, plant.

If you're putting them in the ground directly, weed control is SUPER important, and a weed barrier is a must.

^ that works.

I've started a few indoors (for S's and Giggles). I plan on putting them in my garden for a year. The process is the same (for hardwood).
Cut, treat, plant.

If you're putting them in the ground directly, weed control is SUPER important, and a weed barrier is a must.

Do you also protect them with any kind of tube or fencing?

I won't do anything for them in my garden, but when I plant them in the "field" I'll put a 2ft diameter cage around them. Same fence I've used for my apple trees, I just make it smaller. I do that for a year so that they can get their roots well established and not have to deal with sandy soils, drought, AND browse pressure. After that first year, they are on their own. I try to plant species that respond well to browsing, so that I don't have to keep them caged for more than a year.