image.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 35
I'd guess black oak. We have a bunch of them on my place in SE MN and they look very similar. They are in the red oak family.

I was thinking that!

The saturations in the acorn colors got me wishing its a black oak

Hopefully I got some viable acorns!

Do black oak acorns have those stripes? I have a couple black oaks, but haven't seen striped acorns like that.

I dunno?

I read a little bit about them and the description is for "striped" acorns.
My Northern Reds and a couple Blacks are growing together. I can't tell what leave or acorn comes from which tree.

These are beautiful striped, small. I did not know black oaks were so cold hardy.

I have watched this tree grow 4 20 plus years.

It was so small you would have to be careful not to run it over.

Last edited:
The only way I know how to tell is looking at the bark, the red oak family usually have a light grayish stripe along one side of the tree. Red oaks go to about 3 feet from the ground, black oaks gray trail stops about 15 feet from the ground.

Northern red produces a fatter acorn than black oak, but neither of mine have stripes like that.

If you look at the bark it looks gray above 3 feet to me?

I use the "PlantNet" app. it's pretty accurate in my experience. You can photo leafs, bark, etc....

The only way I know how to tell is looking at the bark, the red oak family usually have a light grayish stripe along one side of the tree. Red oaks go to about 3 feet from the ground, black oaks gray trail stops about 15 feet from the ground.
The stripes look like ski slopes.