Red neck idea.. Thoughts?

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Been doing some bush hogging lately. As many of you know its a pain to get close to caged trees. Was considering getting some scrap sheet rock and placing in a circle around the trees for a weed barrier. This would be on the outer edges of my 5x5ft weed mats. Sheet rock is made of gypsum. Can only help soil right? Usually takes a couple yrs to break down to basically powder.
Good idea? Bad idea? I know I am a red neck hill billy LOL

Bad idea, i'd think you would kill the tree that way. Why not just use mulch or a weed barrier.

I've heard of guys that use sheet rock with a hole in middle as a weed mat. Once damp it conforms to ground and won't blow away. Not pretty when viewing your land from a drone thou if that's a concern.
Shingles work well too but won't decompose

Been doing some bush hogging lately. As many of you know its a pain to get close to caged trees. Was considering getting some scrap sheet rock and placing in a circle around the trees for a weed barrier. This would be on the outer edges of my 5x5ft weed mats. Sheet rock is made of gypsum. Can only help soil right? Usually takes a couple yrs to break down to basically powder.
Good idea? Bad idea? I know I am a red neck hill billy LOL

Spray a little Roundup around the cage. Wind drift damage can be averted with a spray shield.

https://www.gemplers.com/product/49...6985!&ef_id=WLBsiwAAANKMc7fD:20180630225857:s

Attachments

• drift-guard-sprayer-4900186-lrg.jpg
    drift-guard-sprayer-4900186-lrg.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 13
I don't see a problem with it, other than the looks.

I did it two years ago and it worked well for the weed barrier purpose for two years but won't get a third out of it. However another perk is increased soil ph and nutient uptake by plants in the downhill drainage area of the trees I did this to. I used it on approx. 50 apple and pear trees. Nothing negative has been observed so far on the trees that I put the sheet rock around. The clover downhill of the trees looks so much more lush than the clover not in the drainage path of the sheet rock. The ph of the non sheet rock areas came back at 5.7 and the sheet rock lush areas at 6.4. this spring. If I had a manure spreader I would get a load of sheet rock from my contractor neighbor and spread it and then disk it in. I'm redneck to the bone.

Google earth shows the sheet rocked tree bases off well:)

Rock it is my vote

Tried it on my apple trees this year, seems to be working pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The just need to make a low pH sheetrock with us poor guys with the high pH soils! You guys with lower pH soils dont know how good you got it!:emoji_grimacing:

The just need to make a low pH sheetrock with us poor guys with the high pH soils! You guys with lower pH soils dont know how good you got it!:emoji_grimacing:

You need acid rain! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk