Reconyx Cellular

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
For anyone that’s interested it sounds like Reconyx is hoping yo have their cell cameras shipping late April depending on what happens with COVID-19. They’re finally listed on their website but not actually able to order yet. Their cell plans sound pretty good too from what I can read. Yes, they’re pricey, but I haven’t had near the positive long term experience with any other camera manufacturer - I’ve had 6 of them running year round for 8-9 years now.
I’ve got two Spartan go cameras that I’ve been overall impressed with too (although I haven’t been impressed with their customer service), but I haven’t had them a full year yet.

I like reconyx I really do. The hyperflre is my favorite camera. I have 3 of them. The price never bothered me because it’s a great camera. When they stopped making it I was bummed of course. I looked at their cellular but no chance I am paying $1200 for a single camera and I bought a $38000 tractor to only put 70 hours on it in 3 years. I bought a $175 browning and the video is better than the photos I get from the reconyx. 1080p smoking video. However I think the camera makes a noise when the video starts.

All that to say I just bought a Ridgetec cellular camera. It had great reviews on trailcampro and if I recall the highest marks of all the cell cameras. I don’t recall if reconyx was on there or not. What I like about the plan is that it’s shareable between cameras. Hopefully it’s a good reliable camera.

I like reconyx I really do. The hyperflre is my favorite camera. I have 3 of them. The price never bothered me because it’s a great camera. When they stopped making it I was bummed of course. I looked at their cellular but no chance I am paying $1200 for a single camera and I bought a $38000 tractor to only put 70 hours on it in 3 years. I bought a $175 browning and the video is better than the photos I get from the reconyx. 1080p smoking video. However I think the camera makes a noise when the video starts.

All that to say I just bought a Ridgetec cellular camera. It had great reviews on trailcampro and if I recall the highest marks of all the cell cameras. I don’t recall if reconyx was on there or not. What I like about the plan is that it’s shareable between cameras. Hopefully it’s a good reliable camera.
Never heard of the Ridgetec but I’ll check into it. The old school reconyx cellular isn’t on trail cam pro, just like Buckeye cams aren’t. Both are geared more to a professional/research user than average consumer market and don’t have a place on that forum. I’m sure they will have the new Reconyx cellular on there once it’s released. Hopefully the bugs to work out are minimal but I guess we will see. I’m confident their customer service will take care of me regardless.

Plans for the are Reconyx cams are 5 bucks a camera per month for 200 pictures, and 5 bucks more for a block of 2,000 images that can be shared amongst all the cameras; you buy more blocks as you need them. For me, I could run 4 cameras in the fall for about 25 bucks per month total, which is a better deal than my Spartan cameras.

Is there a price on the new Reconyx cellular yet? When they made the hyperfire 2 they dropped the price but reports are that it’s not a true no glow. I imagine it’s still a really good camera.

For anyone that’s interested it sounds like Reconyx is hoping yo have their cell cameras shipping late April depending on what happens with COVID-19. They’re finally listed on their website but not actually able to order yet. Their cell plans sound pretty good too from what I can read. Yes, they’re pricey, but I haven’t had near the positive long term experience with any other camera manufacturer - I’ve had 6 of them running year round for 8-9 years now.
I’ve got two Spartan go cameras that I’ve been overall impressed with too (although I haven’t been impressed with their customer service), but I haven’t had them a full year yet.

Spartan's white flash? That's what I'm looking at anyway..can do(color)videos at night too. Unlike Cuddeback.

Is there a price on the new Reconyx cellular yet? When they made the hyperfire 2 they dropped the price but reports are that it’s not a true no glow. I imagine it’s still a really good camera.
Yes, it’s 599 on their website. Expensive but half the price of their current cell cam and basically equivalent to their older HC600 (which are awesome).

Spartan's white flash? That's what I'm looking at anyway..can do(color)videos at night too. Unlike Cuddeback.
No, my Spartan GoCams are not white flash. They’re low glow IR I believe. I think this is the link to them.

https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/cellular-trail-cameras/products/hco-spartan-4g-verizon

I put them out November 1 and overall have been impressed with them, particularly the batter life after my awful experience with Spypoint cellular. Their customer service leaves something to be desired and no clue about longevity, but they’ve been solid so far (they’re still out).

Never heard of the Ridgetec but I’ll check into it. The old school reconyx cellular isn’t on trail cam pro, just like Buckeye cams aren’t. Both are geared more to a professional/research user than average consumer market and don’t have a place on that forum. I’m sure they will have the new Reconyx cellular on there once it’s released. Hopefully the bugs to work out are minimal but I guess we will see. I’m confident their customer service will take care of me regardless.

Plans for the are Reconyx cams are 5 bucks a camera per month for 200 pictures, and 5 bucks more for a block of 2,000 images that can be shared amongst all the cameras; you buy more blocks as you need them. For me, I could run 4 cameras in the fall for about 25 bucks per month total, which is a better deal than my Spartan cameras.
I like that price point much better for the camera but after looking at their plan it isn’t quite as advertised. Ridgtec does the same thing as Reconyx. They say a block of 2000 images but if you read the fine print a full HD image is considered 10 images. It’s more helpful to think of it as 2000 points not actual pictures. So for $5 you would get an extra 200 full HD images. Real time access to the camera is also $5 per camera.

The thing that irritates me the most is I can have unlimited data lines for $10 a month but I cannot use any of my SIM cards in these cameras. Not sure about Reconyx but Ridgtec lets you view a low resolution photo for a point and you can decide if you want it full HD.

I love Reconyx and will definitely grab 2-3 of these when they're available.
Re: Browning videos - I have a few Strike Force pro xd I use exclusively on video mode. They take great vids but game definitely hear the microphone or a buzzing within 6-8ft. Mature bucks always give a head snap and usually avoid walking directly at it when they hit 6ft. Coyote and Bobcat do the same.
Let us know how the Ridgetec goes. I have not tried them yet.

I had four cameras stolen off my own property in one day - I just dont have the cash to strap $600 to a tree in the middle of the woods anymore - free for the taking. And cables are a non-issue if someone wants the camera. That ended my use or reconyx.

I had four cameras stolen off my own property in one day - I just dont have the cash to strap $600 to a tree in the middle of the woods anymore - free for the taking. And cables are a non-issue if someone wants the camera. That ended my use or reconyx.
Man that really sucks. One advantage of cell cams...hopefully you get a pic or any a-hole before they have a chance to steal your camera.

Put an old or non-working cam out and fill the battery compartment or anywhere else you can with itching powder or visible theft detection powder..or both. Both are at Amazon etc. May not catch them but you'll be sure to piss them off. I've never tried it, just something I've thought about doing if I ever start having problems.

Last edited:
Put an old or non-working cam out and fill the battery compartment or anywhere else you can with itching powder or visible theft detection powder..or both. Both are at Amazon etc. May not catch them but you'll be sure to piss them off. I've never tried it, just something I've thought about doing if I ever start having problems.
I think I would put a exploding paint marker in a dummy cam and then hang a cell cam 15’ up a nearby tree in a well hidden spot. Catch the thief and get some good footage all at the same time.

So I deployed the Ridgtec about a week ago. And so far it’s has been so so. The casing feels like cheap plastic. I can look past that if the performance is good. But so far that has been average. You know when you pick up a reconyx it feels like a solid well built piece of equipment. I am going to move it to another location and see how that goes.

The interface and the app are really good. Set up was a snap and interfacing with the camera is really nice. I really really like the functionality of the app. The price is very nice also. Under $12 for 5000 images and a free month to get you started.

The detection circuit on the camera at first glance works well. I have picked up cats, rabbits, raccoons, and deer. I may have it trying to shoot too far away though. I am a little gun shy after my Browning began spooking deer. But the placement is within specs. I have had a fair amount of photos with no game. The very early morning photos say an hour before sun up look like they were taken in fog. That’s relatively alarming. I only shoot in 6 MP which is kinda blah and grainy but that’s a better option than full HD. I don’t care to see every photo in full HD. I do like that I can refresh the photo bucket anytime I want from my phone. If something peaks my interest then I can request a full HD photo. Now that isn’t real time either you can set up how often the Cam reconciles with the server. Default is 4 hours but you can change it to as little as 30 minutes. More communication the harder it is on batteries. Again the functionality is top notch. This prompted me to email Reconyx to see if they have a release date. They said with Covid-19 causing manufacturing issues they are still hoping for late Spring.

Like I mentioned I plan to move it and see how that does. Maybe a trail or scrape would be a better spot where the shot is closer. I do know you can get real time interaction with Reconyx but it will cost you an additional $5 per camera. I have to do more research to understand their plan better. I’m not sure if they give you thumbnails with the option to upgrade to HD. Luckily I bought it from trailcampro and I have a 90 day return period.

So I deployed the Ridgtec about a week ago. And so far it’s has been so so. The casing feels like cheap plastic. I can look past that if the performance is good. But so far that has been average. You know when you pick up a reconyx it feels like a solid well built piece of equipment. I am going to move it to another location and see how that goes.

The interface and the app are really good. Set up was a snap and interfacing with the camera is really nice. I really really like the functionality of the app. The price is very nice also. Under $12 for 5000 images and a free month to get you started.

The detection circuit on the camera at first glance works well. I have picked up cats, rabbits, raccoons, and deer. I may have it trying to shoot too far away though. I am a little gun shy after my Browning began spooking deer. But the placement is within specs. I have had a fair amount of photos with no game. The very early morning photos say an hour before sun up look like they were taken in fog. That’s relatively alarming. I only shoot in 6 MP which is kinda blah and grainy but that’s a better option than full HD. I don’t care to see every photo in full HD. I do like that I can refresh the photo bucket anytime I want from my phone. If something peaks my interest then I can request a full HD photo. Now that isn’t real time either you can set up how often the Cam reconciles with the server. Default is 4 hours but you can change it to as little as 30 minutes. More communication the harder it is on batteries. Again the functionality is top notch. This prompted me to email Reconyx to see if they have a release date. They said with Covid-19 causing manufacturing issues they are still hoping for late Spring.

Like I mentioned I plan to move it and see how that does. Maybe a trail or scrape would be a better spot where the shot is closer. I do know you can get real time interaction with Reconyx but it will cost you an additional $5 per camera. I have to do more research to understand their plan better. I’m not sure if they give you thumbnails with the option to upgrade to HD. Luckily I bought it from trailcampro and I have a 90 day return period.
IMO “real time interaction” is a bit overrated unless you’re wanting to look into your cameras lense immediately for some reason. I’m not sure if I care that there’s a 30 min or 2 hour delay in the camera changing settings from when I actually request it. could be wrong but I’m assuming you’ll be able to program pics or other actions to happen at intervals you predetermine, which. That’s what I have with Spartan right now and it’s more than enough for me. I will be happy to compare and contrast plans and features between Spartan and Reconyx plans once I get experience with the Reconyx plan.

IMO “real time interaction” is a bit overrated unless you’re wanting to look into your cameras lense immediately for some reason. I’m not sure if I care that there’s a 30 min or 2 hour delay in the camera changing settings from when I actually request it. could be wrong but I’m assuming you’ll be able to program pics or other actions to happen at intervals you predetermine, which. That’s what I have with Spartan right now and it’s more than enough for me. I will be happy to compare and contrast plans and features between Spartan and Reconyx plans once I get experience with the Reconyx plan.
You are probably right that the real time isn’t that big of an issue. Although it doesn’t just apply to settings it also applies to requesting a full HD photo. I know on this ridgetec if I want a full HD photo I request the photo and at some point later I get the full HD photo. I’m not sure yet what the trigger is because The few times that I have done it there was no rhyme or reason as to when it completed. Again I probably agree with you that it’s not that important and not worth the $5 per camera and that $5 is better spent on a bigger pool of pictures. Being my first cell camera it feels more important than it is. The photos I get now are posted as they are taken but the camera is set up to check in with the server every 4 hours.

D9FB47A0-B206-4C65-8085-D4BCA3987054.jpeg
Moved the Ridgtec today. This should answer some questions.

I have thought about trying something like that, but never have. I have trained a cell cam on a cheap, or non-working camera and never caught anyone messing with the other camera. My cameras have taken pics of trespassers, but I have never been able to identify anyone - yet.

One time, I even had a guy leave a note in one of my cameras - telling me he had unknowingly got on my property and killed a hog before he figured out he was on private property. Left his name and phone number on the note. I called him and thanked him for being honest. I did have several pics of him on that camera - but didnt know him. He lived in a city in another state.

You are probably right that the real time isn’t that big of an issue. Although it doesn’t just apply to settings it also applies to requesting a full HD photo. I know on this ridgetec if I want a full HD photo I request the photo and at some point later I get the full HD photo. I’m not sure yet what the trigger is because The few times that I have done it there was no rhyme or reason as to when it completed. Again I probably agree with you that it’s not that important and not worth the $5 per camera and that $5 is better spent on a bigger pool of pictures. Being my first cell camera it feels more important than it is. The photos I get now are posted as they are taken but the camera is set up to check in with the server every 4 hours.

the only time I see a need for instant update is for hog control. I will set my cheap spypoints to take a pic every 30 minutes, because of a variety of non target species like coons and deer getting on a bait site. Once hogs get on the bait, and I decide I want to go after them - I reset the interval to every 3 or 5 minutes so I know the hogs are still there while sneaking up on them in the dark.