Reconyx Cellular

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
I was going to post this within my Spartan GoCam thread but decided to create a new one. I reached out to Reconyx to inquire about their cell cams, data plans, options, etc. I learned a lot. Long story shirt they are in the process of coming out with a new cellular camera built off their Hyperfire platform. This camera will have data plans available through Reconyx instead of having to deal directly with Verizon, which is what you have to do with them right now. I’m hoping that they will offer a single plan that all cameras can use based on data you purchase (as you go). This new camera is also supposed to be more competitively priced than their current cell camera (which is 1200 if you have no discount). He would t say hoe much the new camera is going to be, but I’d guess somewhere in the 600-700 range based off their current Hyperfire pricing. Obviously that would still be 2x what a Spartan costs. I think they’re targeting late Q1 to potentially release them. I’m going to hold off buying any other cell cameras until I see what their new offering in this space is.

I sent them a long list of suggestions, including bundle discounts, features, data plans, app integration, etc. They said many of my suggestions are in the works...so I’m really curious what they come up with. As a current Reconyx owner, I would love to have a fleet of Reconyx cell cameras that operate off of a single data plan (ala Cuddelink and Buckeye). Not sure that will be the case, but I sure hope they are working on that. I have really been happy with my investment in their cameras and support.

Just thought I would pass this info along, as it was news to me.

Here’s hoping they do a combined data plan. I wonder what network they’ll work off of. I’m guessing they’ll still have an individual line fee for each camera.

Here’s hoping they do a combined data plan. I wonder what network they’ll work off of. I’m guessing they’ll still have an individual line fee for each camera.
I’m in if the do a combined plan...but you’re probably right, it’ll likely be individual. They work with Verizon mostly right now so I assume that’ll be an option. Can’t imagine AT&T won’t be an option too though. Either would work well at my place.

I am interested also, sure would be nice to be able to upgrade my current Hyperfires.

I am interested also, sure would be nice to be able to upgrade my current Hyperfires.
I hear you. I’d love to do the same to the 5 I have. The good news is that if the new cameras are solid and I convert to cell on all/some of my cameras, the resale market for trail cameras around me is pretty good. I’m fairly confident I could average 250 ea out of my used Reconyx cameras if I decide to sell them.

I hear you. I’d love to do the same to the 5 I have. The good news is that if the new cameras are solid and I convert to cell on all/some of my cameras, the resale market for trail cameras around me is pretty good. I’m fairly confident I could average 250 ea out of my used Reconyx cameras if I decide to sell them.
You’ll get 250 easily for the just name.

I’m in if the do a combined plan...but you’re probably right, it’ll likely be individual. They work with Verizon mostly right now so I assume that’ll be an option. Can’t imagine AT&T won’t be an option too though. Either would work well at my place.

I’m guessing something like $7. Per cam plus a dataplan for 2000 pictures shared... that seems to be how the market is going.

question for the reconyx guys. I don’t own one (wish I did) but everyone I know that does loves them. What makes them the cream of the crop? Is it straight up picture quality?

I’m guessing something like $7. Per cam plus a dataplan for 2000 pictures shared... that seems to be how the market is going.

question for the reconyx guys. I don’t own one (wish I did) but everyone I know that does loves them. What makes them the cream of the crop? Is it straight up picture quality?

It’s not the quality of the pictures, although they’re good. There are a lot of cameras out there that take as good or better quality pictures. What sets Reconyx apart from the rest, in my opinion, are:
1. Build quality. They’re proudly made right here in the US and built like a tank. I’m pretty sure I could run over one of mine with the truck but don’t have the balls to try. I assume they’re made with higher quality interval materials as well but have no way to verify that.
2. Battery life. I change my lithium batteries usually once a year and the cameras stay out 24/7/365 taking thousands of pictures.
3. Not a bunch of false triggers. Having a camera card full of nothing sucks. Whatever trigger Reconyx uses it works really well to trigger almost exclusively on game.
4. Customer service. Their support is awesome. They’re very helpful and once you own a camera you’ll get years and years out of it. If something goes wrong, just main it back in, pay shall repair fee and they’ll basically rebuild your camera. I had a 6 year old camera that a battery froze and exploded in. I figured it was toast. I called and they told me to send it in. Sent it in and they replaced all the internal parts, upgraded the lenses to the newest model, cleaned it, updated the firmware, etc and shipped it back. I think it was 40.00 and I basically got a brand new camera back. Hard to beat that.

It’s not the quality of the pictures, although they’re good. There are a lot of cameras out there that take as good or better quality pictures. What sets Reconyx apart from the rest, in my opinion, are:
1. Build quality. They’re proudly made right here in the US and built like a tank. I’m pretty sure I could run over one of mine with the truck but don’t have the balls to try. I assume they’re made with higher quality interval materials as well but have no way to verify that.
2. Battery life. I change my lithium batteries usually once a year and the cameras stay out 24/7/365 taking thousands of pictures.
3. Not a bunch of false triggers. Having a camera card full of nothing sucks. Whatever trigger Reconyx uses it works really well to trigger almost exclusively on game.
4. Customer service. Their support is awesome. They’re very helpful and once you own a camera you’ll get years and years out of it. If something goes wrong, just main it back in, pay shall repair fee and they’ll basically rebuild your camera. I had a 6 year old camera that a battery froze and exploded in. I figured it was toast. I called and they told me to send it in. Sent it in and they replaced all the internal parts, upgraded the lenses to the newest model, cleaned it, updated the firmware, etc and shipped it back. I think it was 40.00 and I basically got a brand new camera back. Hard to beat that.

^I agree with all of this. Reconyx is by far the best trail cam manufacturer imo.
Best trigger speed on the market . I have a few 12yr old reconyx that are still running. The battery life on the Hyperfire 2's is amazing. I really hope they offer a combined plan and the ability to upgrade the hyperfires!

^I agree with all of this. Reconyx is by far the best trail cam manufacturer imo.
Best trigger speed on the market . I have a few 12yr old reconyx that are still running. The battery life on the Hyperfire 2's is amazing. I really hope they offer a combined plan and the ability to upgrade the hyperfires!
Seriously doubt there will be an upgrade but that would be awesome. If they have a combined plan the camera is the same quality as the others then it will be a no brainer for me so long as they come down a little bit in their current price.

I agree with Duckslayr. I had one Reconyx that developed a problem with night pics. I emailed Reconyx and attached day and night Pics. Twenty minutes later they replied, acknowledged the problem and gave me a RMA number. I mailed the camera to them and when it was received I got an email to the effect. The next day I got another email that my camera was being repaired. The next day I got another email describing the repair and giving me a tracking number as it had been shipped. Turnaround time was less than a week.

I have sent in multiple cameras from multiple manufacturers. No one has come close to Reconyx customer service. Reconyx could literally teach thousands of business's what good customer service entails.

I agree with Duckslayr. I had one Reconyx that developed a problem with night pics. I emailed Reconyx and attached day and night Pics. Twenty minutes later they replied, acknowledged the problem and gave me a RMA number. I mailed the camera to them and when it was received I got an email to the effect. The next day I got another email that my camera was being repaired. The next day I got another email describing the repair and giving me a tracking number as it had been shipped. Turnaround time was less than a week.

I have sent in multiple cameras from multiple manufacturers. No one has come close to Reconyx customer service. Reconyx could literally teach thousands of business's what good customer service entails.

No doubt about it. I just had a painful reminder myself. I posted about the Spartan cams I just bought and deployed a few days ago. While I’m pretty happy with them at this point I have had to contact customer service a couple of times and let’s just say that compared to Reconyx their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. When asking about an issue with the cameras I’m getting more things that try and explain away the issue than actual suggestions/discussion on solutions.

I have another manufacturer's camera that I shipped back 21 days ago, no communication whatsoever from them. I called two days ago for a status update. The CSR I talked to was very short and evasive, and recommended I check back in a week. I told her that was unacceptable but she assured me that was her best offer. Magically the next day I get a tracking number and the camera has been shipped. I honestly believe had I not called it would have been a couple more weeks. This is day and night difference in Reconyx customer service.

I’m excited to see what they have to offer for a new cell cam. Reconyx are the only cameras I run anymore and want to add a few cell cams to the fleet. Any idea if we’ll be seeing them at the ATA show next week?

I’m excited to see what they have to offer for a new cell cam. Reconyx are the only cameras I run anymore and want to add a few cell cams to the fleet. Any idea if we’ll be seeing them at the ATA show next week?
You and me both. I only run Reconyx with the exception of the two Spartan cells cams I have. I have to say I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with the Spartan Go Cams thus far. I’ve had them out for two months now and they’ve performed great...the test will be time which is obviously where many cameras falter. I don’t know if they will have anything ready at the ATA show...but if you’re there and get anymore info please pass it along!

You and me both. I only run Reconyx with the exception of the two Spartan cells cams I have. I have to say I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with the Spartan Go Cams thus far. I’ve had them out for two months now and they’ve performed great...the test will be time which is obviously where many cameras falter. I don’t know if they will have anything ready at the ATA show...but if you’re there and get anymore info please pass it along!
I personally won’t be there but a lot of people from other forums take requests on what people want to see them post. I’ll put in the request and hopefully we can get a YouTube video loaded of their new cameras.

Archery Talk usually posts videos everyday of the show

Archery Talk usually posts videos everyday of the show
Thats where I normally get the first info from the ATA show. Bowhunting.com is pretty good at posting a lot of videos from popular vendors as well.

I spoke with Reconyx via email and they did confirm it will be revealed at the ATA show next week and it is expected to retail at 599.99.