Recommending Apple Variety by score for Wildlife

Appleman

5 year old buck +
As a wildlife manager I have been upgrading my apple tree plots for wildlife for years to introduce varieties that meet the highest score of desirability. All varieties of apples have their merits, but only a few select will meet the gold standard of achievement for being in the category of being the best to manage to meet your wildlife and hunting objectives. A stand out for me is the Franklin Cider and I score it 10/11 for the following categories. I know many of you have grown from seed and have tried many varieties I have not grown on my property. I am asking you to score your favorite/s and to share with me your experience and recommendations:

FRANKLIN CIDER

1) Scab free/resistant Yes
2) CAR free/resistant Yes
3) FB free/resistant Yes
4) Good/Excellent Annual Bearing Yes
5) Winter-hardiness (to zone 3b) Yes
6) Brix (sugar) apple >15 Yes (Franklin 19.5 brix)
7) Vigorous Grower Yes
8) Apple hang well into December or later Yes
9) Early bearing (by second leaf) Yes
10) Dessert apple/ for eating No
11) Recommended zones 3 - 7 Yes
----------------------------------------------------------
10 out of 11 score

I have a Native tree that I have named the Centerfield Apple. I have grafted a few trees of it. Not sure on #6 but apple taste good and deer prefer it over all other apples at my place. I will say no on #10 since it is a little bigger than a golf ball. Some apples are still hanging in December but it has a slow drop from mid October through end of November. Solid yes on everything else.

I have a Native tree that I have named the Centerfield Apple. I have grafted a few trees of it. Not sure on #6 but apple taste good and deer prefer it over all other apples at my place. I will say no on #10 since it is a little bigger than a golf ball. Some apples are still hanging in December but it has a slow drop from mid October through end of November. Solid yes on everything else.

Can I get some scions?

Appleman,
I see you are in VT. Are there any places in Vermont where I could purchase some Franklin’s? i have been adding about 10 apple trees to my property each year and Franklin’s sound ideal. Will order bare root if I have to.
Thanks

Sounds like a really good apple to grow for deer. Its unique and exciting to discover an apple that is a chance seedling like the one you described.

Appleman,
I see you are in VT. Are there any places in Vermont where I could purchase some Franklin’s? i have been adding about 10 apple trees to my property each year and Franklin’s sound ideal. Will order bare root if I have to.
Thanks
I don't send out scion since it is a patented variety and have recently granted licensing at 6 commercial nurseries. This was brought about a month ago due to Stark is no longer in the commercial market, only retail. This allowed me to offer licensing to other nurseries. The only place you can purchase the Franklin Cider for 2020 is through Stark Bros. They are potted. The following commercial/retail nursery's will be offering Franklin trees starting in 2021.

Adams County Nursery
Cummins Nursery
Wafler Nursery
Fedco Nursery
Mosher Nursery
Van Well Nursery

Can I get some scions?
Yes if I can make it up to get some. I have managed to grab a few the last couple of years. The problem is I have a 5’ snow pack which allows the deer to get up in the tree and they wipe out any new growth up to 10’ or more. I have 5 that I grafted that will be third leaf next year. They are caged so I should be able to start getting scions off them.

As a wildlife manager I have been upgrading my apple tree plots for wildlife for years to introduce varieties that meet the highest score of desirability. All varieties of apples have their merits, but only a few select will meet the gold standard of achievement for being in the category of being the best to manage to meet your wildlife and hunting objectives. A stand out for me is the Franklin Cider and I score it 10/11 for the following categories. I know many of you have grown from seed and have tried many varieties I have not grown on my property. I am asking you to score your favorite/s and to share with me your experience and recommendations:

FRANKLIN CIDER

3) FB free/resistant Yes
7) Vigorous Grower Yes
10 out of 11 score

AM ... Good stuff. Where are you located at USDA zone wise?

I have some crabs or near crabs that I like for deer and for human use.

Some should be available for next spring. I think they will be on dolgo rootstock.

de9ce33a5d59fe3c37e572604de2b625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRANKLIN CIDER

3) FB free/resistant Yes
7) Vigorous Grower Yes
10 out of 11 score

Like you, I try to compare the traits of apple varieties that best match my objectives. My key objectives are large trees that are suitable for my region (5b), with overall disease resistance, heavy, reliable, late cropping, that hold late into the season. Early bearing trees are a plus. This ranking is based on the best available information available to me, but is certainly not gospel.

My “impartial” ranking technique puts your Franklin in third place, and my beloved Ida Red in fifth place. Honestly, ranking these apple trees is like picking which of your kids you love the most. Lol… it depends on the day! Here goes…

Variety Zone Cropping Precocious Resistances Vigor Bearing Total pts.
Florina 4-7 Heavy (2) Yes (1) Excellent (3) vigorous (3) Annual (2) 11
Liberty 4-7 Heavy (2) Yes (1) Good (2) vigorous (3) Annual (2) 10
Franklin 3-7 Heavy (2) Avg (0) Good (2) vigorous (3) Annual (2) 9
Wickson 3-7 Heavy (2) Yes (1) Avg (1) vigorous (3) Annual (2) 9
Ida Red 4-8 Heavy (2) Yes (1) Avg (1) average (2) Annual (2) 8
Enterprise 4-7 Good (1) Avg (0) Avg (1) very vig. (4) Annual (2) 8

I can see I should change my spreadsheet to reflect Franklin being an early bearer (I see the same with my tree). Also, putting a Franklin on a P.18 rootstock would give me a nice big tree. Hopefully we see this combo from Cummins in 2020.

I have a ton of varieties that are close to producing but I can't really rate them yet. The trees that I have that are 15 years old and producing are Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush and some Dolgo that have been doing well. Right now the Liberty and Dolgo are my favorite for deer apples. I do not baby my trees and these are consistent producers. I have several Franklins that I am hoping will start throwing apples in the next year or two as well as several other crabs.

I have a ton of varieties that are close to producing but I can't really rate them yet. The trees that I have that are 15 years old and producing are Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush and some Dolgo that have been doing well. Right now the Liberty and Dolgo are my favorite for deer apples. I do not baby my trees and these are consistent producers. I have several Franklins that I am hoping will start throwing apples in the next year or two as well as several other crabs.
Enterprise and Goldrush are work horses for me and with Cripps Pink not fully maturing at my place they are a great apple in most of those categories.

FRANKLIN CIDER

3) FB free/resistant Yes
7) Vigorous Grower Yes
10 out of 11 score

This list makes me want to start planting Franklin Ciders ASAP!

Yes if I can make it up to get some. I have managed to grab a few the last couple of years. The problem is I have a 5’ snow pack which allows the deer to get up in the tree and they wipe out any new growth up to 10’ or more. I have 5 that I grafted that will be third leaf next year. They are caged so I should be able to start getting scions off them.

It sounds perfect for my Ontario spot. Zone 4 as well.

ACN is 15 minutes away. I’ll be getting some franklin hopefully in 2 years

Here is the mother tree. Clean as a whistle and loaded with apples. I have 5 that I grafted at home last year and planted up there this spring. I have another 3-4 I top worked this year. One looks really good the others are alive.
754486dab4a9fb85b0c225a35ebd345e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here is the mother tree. Clean as a whistle and loaded with apples. I have 5 that I grafted at home last year and planted up there this spring. I have another 3-4 I top worked this year. One looks really good the others are alive.
754486dab4a9fb85b0c225a35ebd345e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like a great tree. And perfect for my needs. My neighbor has a tree that starts dropping in late September and is empty by the end of October. It's great for bow season, but rifle isn't til mid-late November, and then the animals seem to hit the other neighbor's apples. I need a big, long-season orchard to bring some deer back over to my place.

I have some crabs or near crabs that I like for deer and for human use.

Some should be available for next spring. I think they will be on dolgo rootstock.

de9ce33a5d59fe3c37e572604de2b625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bur,
Is Buckman crab on the list? That one looks good from what I remember on previous posts

I would recommend Kerr as well. I still had them hanging and firm on thanksgiving. I am trying to figure out grafting so I can spread my native tree, Kerr, and one other wild crab near my house. This other tree was grafted this year up north and I had some take so I will be testing zone hardiness this winter. It has 2” apples that start dropping in November and go all the way through March with some rotting on tree. Tree has a big elm growing through center of it and is still loaded every year. I can hook you up with some scion of that tree to. If it passes the zone 3 test it will be a home run.

FRANKLIN CIDER

3) FB free/resistant Yes
7) Vigorous Grower Yes
10 out of 11 score

Any other “standouts”? How do Liberty, Enterprise, Galarina, and Honey Crisp score?