Ready for lime?

Robert799

A good 3 year old buck
Is it too early to add lime around my Apple trees so it gets down thru the dirt to roots? Or wait till spring?

Is it too early to add lime around my Apple trees so it gets down thru the dirt to roots? Or wait till spring?

Is your soil acidic? Most apple tree can handle lower 6's well.

Any time is a good time for lime.

On top of snow might encourage too much runoff in the spring. Why apply it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I threw granulated lime on top of snow in a really sour field at camp. Ground frozen. The following year, wild clover began to grow there where previously nothing but some kind of wire-y, stiff grass grew. Maybe it depends on location/runoff odds - or maybe I just got lucky??

Just wanting to get a head start on getting it in the soil once everything thaws. Can easily wait.

Years ago I threw granulated lime on top of snow in a really sour field at camp. Ground frozen. The following year, wild clover began to grow there where previously nothing but some kind of wire-y, stiff grass grew. Maybe it depends on location/runoff odds - or maybe I just got lucky??

I have used it on top of snow on relatively flat ground. A slope might not be a good idea.

Bur - I agree. The field I mentioned is flat. Sloped ground would run off more easily.

My attempt at throwing granulated lime was made easier by the snow. I could see where I hit and where I missed.

Lime is cheep apply some now and in the spring , soils make all the difference sands may no run off , heavier soils more run off , most high ph soils may need the calcium in the lime more so than ph

For what is worth, I apply it way out beyond the crown of the tree. Back in the Great Depression, the government paid guys to dig up apple trees and study their root systems. On supersandy soil like I have, the roots were out three times the width of the trees' crowns.

For what is worth, I apply it way out beyond the crown of the tree. Back in the Great Depression, the government paid guys to dig up apple trees and study their root systems. On supersandy soil like I have, the roots were out three times the width of the trees' crowns.

It makes you wonder about which rootstock was used. I suspect seedlings of some sort.

Lime is cheep apply some now and in the spring , soils make all the difference sands may no run off , heavier soils more run off , most high ph soils may need the calcium in the lime more so than ph
Wouldn't a person go with gypsum for calcium in this scenario?

The farmers in my area have been applying lime for a couple weeks now.