Reading of Favorite Childhood Book - How Times Have Changed

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Few years ago I wanted to share one of my favorite childhood books with my daughter so I looked to see if I could find a video of ANY reading of it online. Couldn't find a single reading. So... ordered a copy of the book and yesterday remedied the lack of the video being online.

Now for the "how much times have changed" / few interesting aspects of the video.
  • Author and graduate of Wellesley College, Helen Palmer, penned the book where not only CALIFORNIA-based Marine Corps troops were prominently featured, but a little kid also JOYOUSLY took up arms with them.
  • Helen Palmer was actually the wife of Dr. Seuss for nearly 40 years... AND the book which smiled on the military and firearms was a "Cat in the Hat" BEGINNER BOOK!
  • The NEW YORK TIMES identified the book as one of the best JUVENILLE books of 1963!
  • Helen Palmer sadly took her life several later after Dr. Seuss pulled a "John Edwards" on her by having a rather open affair while Helen battled a series of serious health issues... something I bet most schools and teachers don't have a clue about when pushing "Dr. Seuss Days." His second wife even apologized to her own two daughters / Dr. Seuss's stepchildren later in life as supposedly Seuss didn't actually like having kids around and she sent them off to boarding schools.
Also have to say, this video is rather refreshing with somewhat of an anti-"shelter-at-home" theme! :emoji_wink:

Wow! Yeah you dont see them like that anymore haha!

Some interesting facts there that i was not aware of. Thanks for posting!

I remember well, July 1985, standing on the yellow foot prints at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego California. What fun!