Rather be luck than good anyday

my uncle has done that several times with does (not 190+" bucks)..he usually just finishes his cigar or sits it on a limb, makes the shot then finishes the cigar before starting to track...

and have the right wind.....

Luck is a big factor in most big deer harvests, but this situation is not as ironic as it may seem. First smoke is not something that necessarily something that alerts deer. Smoke, in general, is ubiquitous in many areas to the point where some hunters smoke their hunting clothes to cover human scent. While tobacco smoke may be a little different, unless deer somehow associate it with humans or other predators, it may have no effect. As for taking a leak from the stand, again, that may not be a scent factor either. I know a guy who did a study of mock scrapes years ago using different types of urine. While there were less visits to scrapes with some predator urine, taking a leak in scrapes showed similar visit numbers and use by deer as deer urine.

Now, I would not recommend either of these things, I would presume associated movement would be the biggest negative factor in most cases.

Thanks,

Jack

My wood boiler blows right into one of my foodplots, deer don’t care.

Lucky, but he is hunting in Iowa. That helps !

I tried one of those smoker deals on my clothes. yeah no! I got busted big time. I think it has to do with where you are and what they smell.

I asked a neghbor down the road if I could hang my camo on the exhaust vents of his hog confine. he looked at me cross ways, I've never tried it but I bet it would work. All our deer have smelled swine.

I tried one of those smoker deals on my clothes. yeah no! I got busted big time. I think it has to do with where you are and what they smell.

I asked a neghbor down the road if I could hang my camo on the exhaust vents of his hog confine. he looked at me cross ways, I've never tried it but I bet it would work. All our deer have smelled swine.

Yep. If you are in an area where wood stoves are the norm, smoke smell is ubiquitous. If you are in a different area, smoke may be an unusual smell that alerts them.

And no offense Jack, but I don't think luck is a big factor in most big deer harvests. Having big deer in the area, is a big factor. After that, it takes a tad bit of skill and some luck.

And no offense Jack, but I don't think luck is a big factor in most big deer harvests. Having big deer in the area, is a big factor. After that, it takes a tad bit of skill and some luck.

No offence taken. If you don't have big deer or many big deer in the area, chances drop dramatically. That is a the biggest factor. Given you have big deer in the area, scent is much more of a factor with bowhunting than with gun hunting as well. I think that most big bucks are killed during the rut. Where they will show up at any given moment is not easy to predict. I do think some guys who kill big bucks during early archery are quite good at figuring out where they are bedding and hunt it smartly not giving themselves away. I do think the majority are killed during the rut by someone who happens to be at the right place at the right time.

These are just opinions and they can differ. There is no doubt in my mind that, all other things being equal, a skilled hunter has a better chance than a novice.

Thanks,

Jack