Quick Question re: using a cocktail of Imidan and Sevin

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
All,

With apologies because I normally try to research questions before asking them here in case the answer is obvious, but I'm a bit jammed for time...

My friend is going to spray our apples on Friday. We had a significant Japanese beetle infestation earlier this year and we sprayed in mid-June with Captan and Sevin and I'm sure killed tons of Japanese beetles. Neither of us have seen the trees since.

I don't know what my buddy (who is not a apple-guy, but is super helpful in spraying when I can't be there) is going to find when he sees the trees on Friday, as it seems to me we're in that portion of the year where Japanese beetles and wolly aphids might be on the trees at the same time.

Question: Can I just tell him to spray Captan plus both Imidan and Sevin, or is mixing the two insecticides a no-no?

- Lot2Learn

If sprayed correctly there should be no reason. Both are highly effective on Jap Beetles. It's not necessarily a matter of killing them, it's more just covering the leaves to keep them off of the trees.

Thanks Maya

I sprayed just Sevin this time since if you read the label it takes care of most of the same insects as Imidan so I figured why waste the Imidan and the Sevin smoked the beetles with a 4 qt to 55 gallon mixture. I just loved seeing so many dead Jap beetles on the ground. When I went up this past week. I will go back to my normal Imidan captan routine next week

I normally use Imidan and then switch to Sevin when I'm on a Jap Beetle jihad. I just didn't know whether Sevin worked for wooly aphids too...now I know!

If I spray for them again this year I may use 7. I have a ton of the stuff! A friend gave me a 2.5 gallon jug and I have one other one. So far I've only seen 4-5 Japs on my trees this year, so I doubt I'll have to spray for them again. Codling moth is very low here too. Hopefully w/ little rain I'm set for the year except another fungicide spray for FS/SB. I've got a buttload of apples out there...yahoo!

George, I grinned when I read your comment as it's a great example of how our different climates present different challenges.

When we sprayed in mid-June, I bet we have 50+ Jap beetles on each tree!

George, I grinned when I read your comment as it's a great example of how our different climates present different challenges.

When we sprayed in mid-June, I bet we have 50+ Jap beetles on each tree!

That's a good chunk of those little suckers. We should be at peak season for them right now, but I think it's just a good low year for them here. I worked in the tall spindle this morning and did not even see one.