Public Service Announcement

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Just a heads up. Don't go into your best spots till you've got a few hunts under the belt to work out all the bugs from the off-season.

Kicked off the opener by about over sleeping this morning.
In the mad dash to get out the door couldn't find the keys to the truck.

Get to the property and launch the yak. Manage to make it to my marked landing spot and start thinking(how in the hell do people that live in actual mountains navigate in the dark). Carefully I postion the yak on some big rocks while trying not to fall on my ass.

Start the assent up through a nasty thicket trying to be quite cause I'm within 75 yards of my final destination. Once I about reach the top I kill the headlamp and slowly move forward.

Within 20 yards I stop to assess the situation. Spot what looks to be the best ambush point and am about to proceed.

That's when I heard it. The unholy sound of a kayak sliding off rock and a faint plop.

Drop the bow, bust down the hill through the thicket like a hippo. What took 15 min going up took a min flat going down. Get to the waters edge and there she floats in the starlight. Picturesque really. Empty the pockets and go for a swim. Back on shore and back up the hillside with water sloshing out the top of the mucks.

Luckily had a thermacell along or I wouldn't of been surprised if I gotten carried away by a swarm of mosquitoes at the rate things were going.

To boot, and not surprisingly.

I did not kill a booner.
I did not see a deer.
Ha

Good luck out there everybody.

Just a heads up. Don't go into your best spots till you've got a few hunts under the belt to work out all the bugs from the off-season.

Get to the property and launch the yak. Manage to make it to my marked landing spot and start thinking(how in the hell do people that live in actual mountains navigate in the dark). Carefully I postion the yak on some big rocks while trying not to fall on my ass.

Start the assent up through a nasty thicket trying to be quite cause I'm within 75 yards of my final destination. Once I about reach the top I kill the headlamp and slowly move forward.

Within 20 yards I stop to assess the situation. Spot what looks to be the best ambush point and am about to proceed.

That's when I heard it. The unholy sound of a kayak sliding off rock and a faint plop.

Drop the bow, bust down the hill through the thicket like a hippo. What took 15 min going up took a min flat going down. Get to the waters edge and there she floats in the starlight. Picturesque really. Empty the pockets and go for a swim. Back on shore and back up the hillside with water sloshing out the top of the mucks.

Luckily had a thermacell along or I wouldn't of been surprised if I gotten carried away by a swarm of mosquitoes at the rate things were going.

I did not kill a booner.
I did not see a deer.
Ha

Based on the description of events, it sounds like the perfect scenario to kill a booner.

You must've done something right to screw up the karma 😲😁

Last edited:
I am one who is around my hunting area every day. The only difference between my opening day and not - is I climb up in a stand in the dark instead of walking through the area at midnight and scanning through thermal looking for a pig or a coon. Deer would wonder what happened to me if I didnt walk through the area every other day.

It's not fair that you get to start hunting 2 days before me. I demand reparations. I'm going to call AOC and will need an emotional support animal (a booner) to get over this....

I did not kill a booner.
I did not see a deer.
Ha

Better days are coming.

It's not fair that you get to start hunting 2 days before me. I demand reparations. I'm going to call AOC and will need an emotional support animal (a booner) to get over this....
Two days? We have a month yet here.

Only thing that could have made this story better is a pic of your yak floating away. Glad you got it back though.

23 days and counting but I never hunt early season. Almost no chance at killing the type of deer I want and all I seem to do is educate deer. I won’t hunt mornings until I get a good dip in temperature. Could be 70 to 50 or 80 to 55. Good read thanks for sharing.