PTT seed?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Someone told me today that purple top turnip seed is no longer being harvested.. all the seed that is being sold is left over? I know it's a hard seed and probably last several years but if this is true you should find out the date it was produced. Anyone else hear this.

Hadn't heard this one. I normally buy enough seed to last a couple of years and store the left over in a cool dry place. Never had a problem with it not germinating. Each bag/lot that is sold is suppose to have a germination rate on the tag (normally 80-90%). If you are uncertain of your germination, then do a ragdoll test yourself. Take a paper towel, put 10 seed in it, wet the paper towel, put it up in a warm place keeping it damp and see how many seed germinate in a week. Most certified seed is probably 6-12 months old anyway because it was grown the last growing season, cleaned, certified, packaged and sold. Germination rates will normally go down as the seed ages so I will just increase the seeding rate accordingly.

Every bag of seed sold for planting comes with a seed tag. This is true for seed with lots of advertising and big antlers on the bag as well as for plain white or brown bags. It is the only information on the bag that matters.

I was misinformed. I confirmed today they are still harvesting PTT seed. I think they just wanted to sell me barkant seed!