Pruning advice

andrew

5 year old buck +
This is my wolf river, do you think I should remove the large left branch off this tree? The rabbits hammered it this winter when the snow got over the cage.20230218_145149.jpg20230218_145156.jpg

Yes/ Remove it.
Notice the tree is unbalanced. It will continue to lean to the heavy side as it grows unless you keep removing from the left side of the tree.
In fact, the best thing you can do is remove all but the right-side branch that is now pointing vertically. If you do prune as shown, the tree will be right back to the same size again in a few years but be better balanced.
1676773567675.png

Thanks for the advice!

Right above where prof kent recommended, there a branch with a steep crotch angle. I'd tame some growth off of that and maybe plan on removing it all together next year.

Also, just to the right of where prof kent told you to cut, there some water sprouts.

I noticed the large branch where the water sprouts are, that branch looks like it's trying to be the leader there. With that branch, if it's going anywhere besides to the right, make a plan to cut it. Even the right side branch 2nd up, I'd trim some off the top. You could trim large stuff now, then trim down pencil size or so vertical growth off your horizontal arms in the summer, like early june.

I'd be tempted to whack both lowest branches left and right off. They're pretty low, and the right one want to run the show in my opinion.

IF you're plan is to make a central leader style tree, with this tree I'd look from the top, then down to the bottom to make your shape.

You know what rootstock this tree is on? IF this is destined to be small like a B9, you only have so much top growth to work with. I'd be more inclined to remove whats not your shape even more..

Yes/ Remove it.
Notice the tree is unbalanced. It will continue to lean to the heavy side as it grows unless you keep removing from the left side of the tree.
In fact, the best thing you can do is remove all but the right-side branch that is now pointing vertically. If you do prune as shown, the tree will be right back to the same size again in a few years but be better balanced.
This. ^ ^ ^ I'd also prune off those 2 reddish water sprouts where the low limbs separate. No need to send nutrients to those instead of your desired tree - the vertical on the right side.

Prof. Kent is right about the remaining right side growing big in a few years. I made a similar "drastic" cut to an Enterprise apple tree several years ago. Camp members asked me if I was trying to KILL that tree. That tree is now well-balanced and growing like a weed. I was afraid to cut it off, too - but thanks to advice on this forum from several guys, I made the pruning cut. Those apple veterans on here were RIGHT!! Hope this helps.

It was a clearance tree from shopko, I know it's semi dwarf.