Proper Mix?

PackerBacker

5 year old buck +
I got a deal on winter wheat, rye, big red clover and forage peas.

Was planning on planting a LC type mix but assume I cant just replace the oats with the wheat since it wont freeze out. Any recommendations on proper mix per acre?

I would go with 50 lbs Wheat, 50 lbs Rye, 100 lbs Peas, and 10 lbs Red Clover per acre. I just over seeded my Oats, Radish, Red Clover plots with 100 lbs of Rye two days ago. Get R Dun.

Throw the oats in there. I'm putting 50 pounds rye and 50 oats/ acre tomorrow for my cover crop for spruce trees. The deer get a little treat and I get my spruce to live.

When are you planting? Soon I hope.

Tomorrow, too late but it's all about establishing the spruce.

I thought about some oats but they weren't an option to purchase from my farm buddy. I could run to Bay Lake but only doing about an acre. Was hoping to do yesterday but didn't get to it so going in next week. Doesn't leave much time for the oats before we could get the 1st freeze.

Freeze doesn't bother them, they grow to mid-late October. You'll be getting kinda late planting mid sept, but u never know. I've throw in feed oats and it grows good too.
I feel I was kinda late planting oats 2 days ago. I no till drilled it in and we got this rain, do it should be up in a couple days. I normally plant in July, but Im behind on a lot

Freeze doesn't bother them, they grow to mid-late October. You'll be getting kinda late planting mid sept, but u never know. I've throw in feed oats and it grows good too.
I feel I was kinda late planting oats 2 days ago. I no till drilled it in and we got this rain, do it should be up in a couple days. I normally plant in July, but Im behind on a lot
Are the spruce already planted? I was thinking about planting WR this year and then planting shrubs into it next spring. My hope was the the WR would cover the shrubs through their first growing season.

Spruce goes in next spring. I added native grass too

Swung by Bay Lake over lunch. Explained to the guy what I was doing and that I was looking to add oats. He said he could sell me a bag but wouldn't recommend planting them this late and since I don't bow hunt out there, he wasnt sure what value would be. Didn't buy them but will try to get my stuff together better next year and include.

Are the spruce already planted? I was thinking about planting WR this year and then planting shrubs into it next spring. My hope was the the WR would cover the shrubs through their first growing season.
That would be a great plan chummer. Don't wait too much longer, you could have snow up there in the coming weeks. If you let it go to seed next summer and knock it down you should get a good amount of reseeding in there for protection next winter and the following spring as well.

That would be a great plan chummer. Don't wait too much longer, you could have snow up there in the coming weeks. If you let it go to seed next summer and knock it down you should get a good amount of reseeding in there for protection next winter and the following spring as well.
Of course it's a good idea, I thought of it.
Rye can be planted in November and still be fine. Farmers do it all the time for spring wind erosion, on the big ag fields.
Swung by Bay Lake over lunch. Explained to the guy what I was doing and that I was looking to add oats. He said he could sell me a bag but wouldn't recommend planting them this late and since I don't bow hunt out there, he wasnt sure what value would be. Didn't buy them but will try to get my stuff together better next year and include.
A week earlier would still be perfect, but this week would be fine. Been there done that. I'm not worried