Products that aren’t garbage ?

AtomApple

5 year old buck +
I‘d like to get some feed back on products you use that work. Here‘s my list:

1. a good safety harness and lineman’s belt. This has made hang and hunt set ups better in the follow ways: quicker, quieter, and SAFER.
2. quality climbing stick. I have the hawk helium sticks. The straps have sewn loops along the whole length that you fit over the button. No more fumbling with noisy metal ratchet things and needing to adjust strap length.
3. grunt call. This has definitely worked on some younger bucks. Have yet to test it on a 4.5 year old though. My general strategy is to stay quiet, but if I see a buck that isn’t coming my way, the grunt has worked on some occasions to bring them in.
4. Camo. Hiding from human eyes can be important too.
5. insulated boot covers. When it’s cold out, these help me stay out longer, no more cold feet. (In Minnesota)

Nice idea for a thread on the heels of the "Is The Hunting Industry Selling Us Garbage?" thread.

Unfortunately my top 3 were not cheap.
1) Millenium Monster 150...most comfortable, most quiet, lightest lock-on I have ever owned.
2) Sitka Fanatic jacket and bib...game changer as far as staying warm on the stand.
3) Schnee's Granite hunting boot...after countless pairs of inferior boots with leaky, busted seams and separated soles, I finally bit the bullet and will never go back.

Nice idea for a thread on the heels of the "Is The Hunting Industry Selling Us Garbage?" thread.

Unfortunately my top 3 were not cheap.
1) Millenium Monster 150...most comfortable, most quiet, lightest lock-on I have ever owned.
2) Sitka Fanatic jacket and bib...game changer as far as staying warm on the stand.
3) Schnee's Granite hunting boot...after countless pairs of inferior boots with leaky, busted seams and separated soles, I finally bit the bullet and will never go back.

I have to agree on 1 and 2. If the Schnee's are in the same class as those, I need a pair.

Havlon knives with replaceable razor sharp blades.
My first was the barracuda. Then I bought 100 blades on amazon for the smaller piranha by accident and decided to buy the smaller knife rather then return the blades.

Each has its place the piranha stays in my pocket at the farm. I like having a razor sharp knife in 25 seconds as opposed to me sharpening a blade.

Remington Core-Lokt ammunition
Cabela's Inferno 2000 gram boots
Game Scale (no more BS weight estimates)

Mine isn’t cheap either but my garmin xero bowsite. If mine broke tomorrow I would buy another one. not having to calculate or range a deer at the moment of truth is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington Core-Lokt ammunition

Yes!
I’ve hand loaded for years because I got into long range Wyoming hunting for a while.

Now that, that is over, I’ve migrated back to the old reliable rifle of my youth.

My son and I both scored this year with my old high school Remington pump Rifle shooting old Remington core lokt pointed soft points.

Problem is I’ve only got a box left.
We’re good til about 2028 at two a year. But I’m worried for his kids.

Sorel pac boots
Cabelas wooltimate vests
Duluth Trading insulated and un-insulated firehose pants

I haven't had cold feet since I switched to those boots. No more warmers, fancy socks, or cold toes.
The vests are high density and low profile. Great way to keep your innards warm and send surplus heat to your extremities.
Any Duluth pants really. But get a pair. You'll wear out before they do.

Here is a cheap one that I’ve come to love - the caps with LED lights that run off of watch (coin sized) batteries. You just push a button on the cap brim to turn the light on and off. This means no more fumbling around in the dark for a flashlight, and you have both hands free, because the light is in your cap. This is especially useful for looking for the right key in the dark or anything you need to see or find. And they come in both camo and blaze orange. Batteries are located in the hat band and easy to replace when necessary, but seem to last a very long time.

Last edited:
Boot Muffs keep my feet warm in my insulated rubber boot even on the coldest sits. Thrown in a hand warmer or two and slip them on once in the stand. Also the strap on hand muffs keep my hands warm in light or no gloves. Guess I like muffs.

My wife bought me a Butt Out as a joke but I really like the thing and use it on every deer I field dress.

A hunting saddle has changed how I hunt now. I use the Tethrd Phantom but I'd recommend trying other brands too to make sure you find one that is comfortable. I originally bought it for a more mobile setup on public land hunts, but now I use it even on our private land. From a bowhunting perspective, I think it beats hang on or ladder stands in almost every instance. The only downside I've found with using the saddle on private land is the setup and teardown (which takes 20 mins each time if you're doing it quietly). But I still am willing to do this to be more adaptable and to be able to have the tree between myself and the deer.

Quality binoculars like Zeiss ... good glass a must especially low light periods
Range finder ... always like to verify certain range points whether bow or gun show i have quick reference of target distance as sometimes only 4-5 seconds for a shot decision..
Grunt call .. although I can do a pretty good mouth and throat grunt
Small led flashlight with red light ... minimizes light that can be seen by deer in dark entry hours

Cloths ... I could gone for a whole thread but basics are good light, medium, & heavy duty (mittens) gloves, for boots muck boots, sorel pac, and for realty cold Cabela's gortex Saskatchewan extreme cold weather boots, for hats usually a tight over the ears fleece with a knit hat over.

Base layers ... merino wool, scent look, fleece, then additional depending on how cold with outer jacket shell to range from med to heavy duty. As I walk up to 1/4-3/4 mile to my stand, wicking moisture very important with wool base layer. For heavy duty I have Cabelas cold whitetail extreme and long stand sits in exposure really cold weather ... Cabela's wooltimite extreme stand hunter coveralls.

I do use a hand muff with warmer packs as I often sit all day in a ladder stand when hunting in Canada. When you keep your hands, head, & feet warm, you win half the battle.

Knives, I have many but I keep a Gerber multitool & sharp folding Buck or Benchmade knife on me. In my gut & clean kit I have 2 knives large & small, small had axe, and small hand saw.

Good back pack with straps for my heavy jacket.

Food ... sandwhich, apple, and the original energy bar a snickers bar.

Last edited:
Still have a lot of old tree stands with metal seats. Best thing I've bought lately is a seat cushion made for someone that drives a lot. It's supposed to relieve the pressure on your lower back. I put a caribiner on the strap and clip in to my backpack now. It's made a world of difference sitting long hours in uncomfortable stands. My dad laughed at me until I bought him one, now he swears by it too.

Sorel pac boots
Cabelas wooltimate vests

I haven't had cold feet since I switched to those boots. No more warmers, fancy socks, or cold toes.
The vests are high density and low profile. Great way to keep your innards warm and send surplus heat to your extremities.
I should add, I've had all three of these items for at least 8 years, and none of them have worn out.

Sitka waterfowler jacket and gloves - truly waterproof

Cuddelink system

Woods seeder - great for planting but also great for repairing trails, erosion, and hog rooting

Thermal scope - went from killing five hogs a year in the day time to fifty a year at night

Moultrie electric utv spreader

Sitka waterfowler jacket and gloves - truly waterproof

Cuddelink system

Woods seeder - great for planting but also great for repairing trails, erosion, and hog rooting

Thermal scope - went from killing five hogs a year in the day time to fifty a year at night

Moultrie electric utv spreader
I found some scope mounted night vision videos on youtube from some hog hunters. I gotta say, I could watch that all day.

I found some scope mounted night vision videos on youtube from some hog hunters. I gotta say, I could watch that all day.
I used to cuss the hogs. But with no more quail, rabbits, turkeys, or ducks - that only leaves squirrels and deer. You shoot maybe once or twice at deer in a year. There is a never ending supply of hogs. You can shoot them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you cant get rid of them, you might as well learn to embrace them.

Sorel pac boots
Cabelas wooltimate vests

I’ll second the firehouse pants, but the stretch version. Deep pockets To hold tools and phone. Top notch

I bought a pair of Attack Pants from KUIU this year. I have to say they are the absolute best pants I have ever had. I wore them out in Montana in the mountains every day. I also wore them for Wis rifle season. Yes they are $140 ($100 on sale) but man I think they are worth it. I have not tried Duluth Trading pants. Their commercials are funny though, i.e. Ball Room Jeans.

Chuck