Pretty day to be out

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Did a shakedown run on a couple of boats today. Pulled up in one slough - and I wasnt the only one that thought it a nice day to be out.

IMG_0306.jpeg
IMG_0299.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a shakedown run on a couple of boats today. Pulled up in one slough - and I wasnt the only one that thought it a nice day to be out.

View attachment 62329
View attachment 62330
View attachment 62331
That's an animal I don't think of when I think of deer country.
What are they like? Are they shy of humans? How close can you get?

When it is cold water like today - some of them you can pull up to in boat and touch them. Smaller ones like these - six, seven ft much more obliging. I saw a couple 9 footers and got about 30 ft from. These smaller six or seven footers, could catch everyone of them on a buzzbait or frog in warm weather. I have had them try to climb in the boat after a frog. Big one, over ten ft - pretty wary. Get thirty feet from them and they go down. You never know if they are hiding or stalking you

These are bigger gators - they have more jowl and extra meat on their neck. It can be deceiving in a picture with nothing to relate to

IMG_3067.png

IMG_3070.png

The gators in south Mississippi never really hibernate over the winter. You will see them out sunning just like in SwampCat's photos. I kayak a lot and if you slowly move towards them they will usually submerge when you get within 10 yards. They will go down much sooner if you move quickly. The one in the photo below is the one that scared me the most. I was in a kayak and had just paddled by this spot about 30 minutes before the photo. He was 11-12 feet or basically the size of my kayak. A 7-foot gator is really not that big, but they really start to put on mass once they get above that. There are not any reports of gators attacking people around here, but I definitely don't want to be the first.
gator.jpg

You could fill a freezer with that gator.

You could fill a freezer with that gator.
Or a good sized smoker! Don't want to play with them to much, but have been around them a fair amount in south GA while bass fishing.