Preferred pruning knife???

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I had a Bahco pruning knife, which seems to have left the farm on it’s own. Liked the light weight design and shape. I sharpened it on a steel just about every day after using it. Here is one.

IMG_3226.JPG

I am also looking at an AM Leonard. IMG_3225.JPG

And a third type IMG_3228.JPG

I really like the hawk bill shape. It is great for cleaning out tree wounds and cutting things around the farm. Any that you would recommend. I was not real excited about the quality of blade on the Bahco, but for 20-30 dollars what does one expect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use an old Opinel that I keep razor sharp...I seem to have no trouble cutting myself with it a couple times every spring!
Not an expensive knife at all but gets the job done.

NqDmbjH.jpg

I used a single side beveled knife (a Tina) last year and my grafting success when up noticeably.

I use an old Opinel that I keep razor sharp...I seem to have no trouble cutting myself with it a couple times every spring!
Not an expensive knife at all but gets the job done.

NqDmbjH.jpg

I see those everywhere. I am honestly shocked they sharpen at all they are certainly not expensive.

I used a single side beveled knife (a Tina) last year and my grafting success when up noticeably.

Yes, I have two Tina’s for fine work. I am looking for something that doesn’t do the detailed stuff and that I can carry around all year. I also really like the hawkbill style for that type of work as opposed to grafting with my Tina’s. I assume your Tina’s are not the Hawkbill.

I see those everywhere. I am honestly shocked they sharpen at all they are certainly not expensive.

That one is stainless, I run it over a stone a few times and it is sharp enough for me to easily cut myself as I always seem to do grafting. I don't get hung up on the price of anything if it works.

That one is stainless, I run it over a stone a few times and it is sharp enough for me to easily cut myself as I always seem to do grafting. I don't get hung up on the price of anything if it works.

I agree on the last part of that, but a cheap knife is normally not a good thing. People have given me 100 cheap knives in my business and none are worth a Nicle

I agree on the last part of that, but a cheap knife is normally not a good thing. People have given me 100 cheap knives in my business and none are worth a Nicle

So you start a thread ask a question on what we use to graft with. I answer and you bad mouth my blade and what works for me....thanks man!

Last edited:
My preferred knife is a retractable utility knife with Fat max blades. I've bought countless specialty knives and never have them when I need em. Utility knife would still be my go to for grafting even if all other knives where available and on hand.

Yes, I have two Tina’s for fine work. I am looking for something that doesn’t do the detailed stuff and that I can carry around all year. I also really like the hawkbill style for that type of work as opposed to grafting with my Tina’s. I assume your Tina’s are not the Hawkbill.

No. It's the left-handed folding model. Guy's use all kinds of knives to graft with. I say if it works for you it's the one for you. :emoji_thumbsup:

So you start a thread ask a question on what we use to graft with. I answer and you bad mouth my blade and what works for me....thanks man!

Someone is a little too sensitive. No, I started by saying I was surprised you were able to get a good edge on it. I was actually glad to hear that because I have looked at those knives many times and never bought one. You had made the comment that you don’t put too much weight into how much something cost. I agreed and then simply explained why I had not previously bought one of YOUR knives. I had bad experiences with MY knives - all of which were company gifts. We have all seen those knives that are bought as gifts by someone who knows nothing about knives and gives them away. You accept them say think you and move on. I will do the same here, no need for you to apologize for jumping to an inaccurate conclusion. Thanks for offering your thoughts regarding YOUR knife. I will give one a try.

I will second the opinels I use a number 6 for a pocket knife but I have multiple different ones up to a number 10. They make a stainless and carbon versions. The no 6 is a normal pocket knife size and the no 10 is very large but I don’t know what size you would want I really like these knives especially the simple locking mechanism. They are cheap knives but are still made in a first world country since the late 1800s I really like that plus my main selling point was I much rather lose an opinel than a case as a daily carry. If you want a hawk bill maybe check out mora also cheap knives but high quality I really like bang for your buck knives.

I have an Opinel #6 in my pocket every day. A neat little knife that I can get wickedly sharp.

That's not a knife.
untitled.png
That's a knife!

Going to show some ignorance on my part here..... I understand a clean cut edge is important in grafting. I was simply planning on using a box cutter type knife (so I can simply change razor blades) for my first attempt at grafting. Is this a bad idea? I thought it would be the best way to ensure the best edge as easy as possible.

Going to show some ignorance on my part here..... I understand a clean cut edge is important in grafting. I was simply planning on using a box cutter type knife (so I can simply change razor blades) for my first attempt at grafting. Is this a bad idea? I thought it would be the best way to ensure the best edge as easy as possible.
Exactly what I do and prefer. Likely since I carry a utility knife all day I'm better at cutting with it. The fat max blades are a little thicker so can pry open rootstock depending on your methods.