Posting pictures here on HT

John-W-WI

Administrator
We've gotten some feedback that links to images got broken last fall when we upgraded to the new Xenforo. Specifically @yoderjac is having some trouble and I imagine he's not the only one. I haven't been able to figure out what is broken sand I'm not comfortable posting information from a PM on a public forum (here or Xenforo support).

I'm asking Jack (and anyone else that has had trouble) to post as brief and explicit an example of the problem in this thread. Once we have some examples I'll share them with XF support and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

Thanks in advance,

-John

John,

It seems to me that the link is fine, not broken, but the forum is somehow blocked for accessing the server where the picture resides.

Here is a link to a picture: http://www.yotechs.com/YotechsPhoto...7122/01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

If you click it you should see the picture. It is one I put on several threads. You can also cut and paste it into your browse and it should show. Bill and others have been able to access the link.

Now, I'll post it as a linked picture below:

When I paste the link into the picture dialog box I get a popup that says "loading image" with a progress bar. After a while I get the message. "Image can not be loaded from the pasted link"

I have no problem uploading photos from my computer to the site, just posting a picture using a link to my server.

Thanks,

Jack

01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

I just tried it on my phone and it worked. Dialog box with the "http..." right? That's where I put it.

Using Firefox browser if that makes any difference.

What's strange though is I looked with a couple of other browsers and the picture isn't there. One shows a completely blank post, another a bunch of code. Wasn't signed in though.

Last edited:
I just tried it on my phone and it worked. Dialog box with the "http..." right? That's where I put it.

Using Firefox browser if that makes any difference.

What's strange though is I looked with a couple of other browsers and the picture isn't there. One shows a completely blank post, another a bunch of code. Wasn't signed in though.

Please look at post #9 on this thread: https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?...-first-try-transferred-from-qdma-forums.5742/ and let me know if you see pictures.

It is an old thread with links posted before the new forum version was installed. I'm using Chrome by the way.

Thanks,

Jack

John,

It seems to me that the link is fine, not broken, but the forum is somehow blocked for accessing the server where the picture resides.

Here is a link to a picture: http://www.yotechs.com/YotechsPhoto...7122/01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

If you click it you should see the picture. It is one I put on several threads. You can also cut and paste it into your browse and it should show. Bill and others have been able to access the link.

Now, I'll post it as a linked picture below:

When I paste the link into the picture dialog box I get a popup that says "loading image" with a progress bar. After a while I get the message. "Image can not be loaded from the pasted link"

I have no problem uploading photos from my computer to the site, just posting a picture using a link to my server.

Thanks,

Jack
possibly a blacklist issue. im just throwing some tests at you to narrow down the issue. you can upload directly from phone of pc if you choose to upload an image so i dont think it is a attachment issue with the site. however, your link works outside the site. i have attached a screen shot of what i see when i open the image and if you notice the site comes back as not secure so it could be a security feature not allowing links to unsecure images, sites, files from the forum hosts. i would try two things as a start. use google image search to get a picture link download it and host it on your webserver and add the link in a post. within the same post put the direct link to the image, and if you are feeling froggy upload that image to a free imagine hosting site like photobucket or mgbb. com and paste the link in the post. if the direct link and the two free hosting sites links show the image than it is a blacklist issue either on you webserver (jack) side or the forums webhost provider. hope this helpsyoder.jpg

Please look at post #9 on this thread: https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?...-first-try-transferred-from-qdma-forums.5742/ and let me know if you see pictures.

It is an old thread with links posted before the new forum version was installed. I'm using Chrome by the way.

Thanks,

Jack

I can see the pictures on Firefox, when logged out as well. Opera is blank like the one I mentioned above, and CM browser once again has code like things with jpg at the end. I can try on computer later today, I have chrome on there I can try. Or maybe someone else can see if it works for them on chrome.

Two interesting possibilities

1) " you notice the site comes back as not secure so it could be a security feature not allowing links to unsecure images, sites, files from the forum hosts". You are correct, the site just has pics so I did not install an SSL certificate.

2) If you can see that pic on Firefox and I can't see it on Chrome, that could also be the issue. I'm on a metered connection this week, but when I get home on Friday, I'll download Firefox and give that a try.

Thanks,

Jack

Yeah I don't know what's going on. I just tried it with Chrome as well as Microsoft Edge on the computer and neither would let the link/picture load up. Acts like it is going to for a good 10 seconds then it says no can do. On Firefox it'll take the picture and show it where I'm typing here in a split second.

Doesn't do much good to use Firefox for it except to just test it yourself. Because most likely only those of us using Firefox will be able to see the pictures.

Yeah I don't know what's going on. I just tried it with Chrome as well as Microsoft Edge on the computer and neither would let the link/picture load up. Acts like it is going to for a good 10 seconds then it says no can do. On Firefox it'll take the picture and show it where I'm typing here in a split second.

Doesn't do much good to use Firefox for it except to just test it yourself. Because most likely only those of us using Firefox will be able to see the pictures.

Yes, if this turns out to be the issue, it is a Xenfro issue with browsers. John would have to figure out what the issue is with Xenfro and ubiquitous browsers. I'll try firefox when I get home. If it lets me post the links and they show in firefox, that would verify that my server is not somehow being blocked by Xenfro.

I found I had already installed firefox on this computer, so hear goes my test:

01814a24-edac-4ef4-aa57-8aa9e41d13bd.jpg

John,

This confirms this issue. There is no problem with Xenfro accessing my server or my photoserver. The issue is a browser compatibility issue with the new version of Xenfro you installed. For some reason you can't post a linked image using Chrome and when someone does post a linked image using a compatible browser, you can not see that image using chrome.

Tamarak said MS Edge browser has the same issue as Chrome with Xenforo but I have not tested it myself with Edge.

Hope this points you in the right direction. I've got hundreds of linked images in posts over the years that folks will not be able to see when using the most popular browsers until you find a solution. I can now use firefox to post linked images, but since most folks can't see them, I plan to hold off until you find a fix.

Thanks,

Jack

Image wouldn't load on Opera either :emoji_thinking:

The issue should be resolved. It appears it was the site hosting the images was not https://

I flipped some switches and believe everything is working now.

Jack - please confirm.

Thanks,

-John

Hmmm. It appears that I can post pics again. It's been a long time and many trials trying to post pics. Good to know that I can again. Whatever you guys changed I'm glad you did. Now I need to see if I can post from my phone...
20201126_095430.jpg20201126_095255.jpg

It looks like that fixed part of the problem but not all of it. Before your fix, I was able to both see and post pic links using firefox but not chrome. I just tried and was unable to post one with Chrome. I got the same error message as before. I think he is on to something with the browser compatibility problem. However, when I go to an old thread with Chrome, I can now see the linked pictures. However, if I try to edit that old post, the links don't show up and neither do the pics in the editor.

My guess is that there might be a different set of switches for displaying the forum than for the editor. Maybe there is another switch you need to throw in the editor to access the photo server links.

Thanks,

Jack