Posted sign fasteners

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
Hopefully, if everything goes as planned, we will (FINALLY) close on our property in Ohio next week. I want to post all of the property lines (as good fences make). Have signs ordered from Serious Markers but it dawned on me that a portion of the lines are gorgeous oaks. What would the best fastener be to cause the least damage, threat of infection or stress to trees? (Is it as simple as a 2” coated deck screw?) Posts really aren’t an option.

Thanks.

Hopefully, if everything goes as planned, we will (FINALLY) close on our property in Ohio next week. I want to post all of the property lines (as good fences make). Have signs ordered from Serious Markers but it dawned on me that a portion of the lines are gorgeous oaks. What would the best fastener be to cause the least damage, threat of infection or stress to trees? (Is it as simple as a 2” coated deck screw?) Posts really aren’t an option.

Thanks.
Was the property surveyed? They should have spray marked the property lines.

I think a bunch of big signs marking your property asks for more attention/bad things. People wonder “what’s he got going on back there.” I would have a simple gate, and lots of cameras hidden in good spots.

Just my opinion.

And to your question, galvanized screws will cause zero damage to your mature oak trees!

Asking why you can have a few post

In NY you need posted signs to have no trespassing issues stick.

Look up that portion of the law in your state. In Maine, not posting means you can legally hunt it otherwise.......

The traditional fastener for permanent type signs is aluminum nails. I don't know if they have come up with anything better. You don't want to hang them tight to the tree as trees grow. Aluminum was the choice because it does not kill the saw blades at the mill when the trees are eventually sold.

Due to cost, we have just used the cheap plastic rolls of signs. With them, I've just used staples. After a few years, they need replaced.

I’ve found pink flagging tape to be much more visible and you can see it from inside and outside the property . That, and paint at the corners. Where you use signs I would use 2-3 inch aluminum nails. Be aware they bend easy and you’ll need double or triple what you think. Tape and paint will last about 5 years and the posted signs probably need to be re-nailed every 3 years or they will fall off as the trees grow.

I did aluminum nails and metal signs I did a plywood backer and left some room to grow they have been up close to 10 years and they still look like the day we put them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use aluminum nails and hang the sign a good 1" or 1.5" from the tree to allow for growth. I don't have any oaks on my property. Is driving a nail into a living oak as tough as it is driving a nail into 1x oak from the lumber store? If so, I would think nails wouldn't work for you, especially aluminum nails.

Was the property surveyed? They should have spray marked the property lines.

I think a bunch of big signs marking your property asks for more attention/bad things. People wonder “what’s he got going on back there.” I would have a simple gate, and lots of cameras hidden in good spots.

Just my opinion.

Yes- just surveyed- no paint lines. Ribbons on corners and some random in the middle ones.

I have neighbors that hunt and I want clear boundaries. This property was treated by at least one family as an annex to theirs. Have pasture fences over-run (2ac worth) and horse trails mowed. They also know I don’t live close and my primary parking location isn’t covert enough.

The idea of posting bringing in more attention is new to me. I want it clear, and legally substantiated, anyone found on there will have the law brought in.

Have a bunch of cams - all too high just to grab and many are cell. So far so good…

Asking why you can have a few post

Fair ask.Lots of zig zag and it would be a substantial cost and effort. 3300yards of edge

In NY you need posted signs to have no trespassing issues stick.

Look up that portion of the law in your state. In Maine, not posting means you can legally hunt it otherwise.......

Oh yeah. In NY your posting distances, corners, sign labeling, conspicuity, upkeep all matter.

This is ohio …. Near people and hope to make this a something real special property

I’ve found pink flagging tape to be much more visible and you can see it from inside and outside the property . That, and paint at the corners. Where you use signs I would use 2-3 inch aluminum nails. Be aware they bend easy and you’ll need double or triple what you think. Tape and paint will last about 5 years and the posted signs probably need to be re-nailed every 3 years or they will fall off as the trees grow.

Currently have survey tape (was done two month ago) and some supplemented orange tape to fill in the gaps (using onX which appears to be spot on w the actual survey).

Thank you all for your input.

Al nails sound like the best practical solution for tree and logger application … but y’all are likely right with al nails and monster oaks not working together.

Perhaps I will go the Yoderjac roll and staple gun approach. I loved the idea of these signs not needing a backer, being rigid and lasting a long time. We have some that are 10-15yo here in NY.

For the OH guys… what’s your take on posting for a vacant land owner or pressing charges? Im scratching my head on how this could be a bad thing but always open to learn.

Al nails sound like the best practical solution for tree and logger application … but y’all are likely right with al nails and monster oaks not working together.

Perhaps I will go the Yoderjac roll and staple gun approach. I loved the idea of these signs not needing a backer, being rigid and lasting a long time. We have some that are 10-15yo here in NY.

For the OH guys… what’s your take on posting for a vacant land owner or pressing charges? Im scratching my head on how this could be a bad thing but always open to learn.
Not oh but I post the hell out of my place. I’d post every tree if i could. I see zero downside. I want people to know there is a new sheriff in town and I’m serious about no trespassing.

We got a new neighbor a few yrs ago who is pretty close to a worst case scenario. I think I've hung over 40 signs along 300 yards so far and went thru several cans of purple paint. I kinda like the pink surveyors tape idea and will add some of that.

I’m going full bore but if everything goes according to plan I should have 2 miles of fence installed this off-season. Getting a survey done as soon as the season is over, bringing my grader up with his d6 and then getting fence people out. I want zero excuse to not understand what is yours and what is mine.

How often do you need signs in order for trespassing charges to stand? I post a few signs along the road, but I have zero between my bordering landowners unless there's still some older ones left from previous owners. I'm glad for good neighbors who don't need to be reminded every 20 steps where the border is. For me, that would really ruin the feel of being out there if my neighbors and I were yelling at each other through signs every 20 yards or whatever it is.

How often do you need signs in order for trespassing charges to stand? I post a few signs along the road, but I have zero between my bordering landowners unless there's still some older ones left from previous owners. I'm glad for good neighbors who don't need to be reminded every 20 steps where the border is. For me, that would really ruin the feel of being out there if my neighbors and I were yelling at each other through signs every 20 yards or whatever it is.
I get that totally but I have some line sitters including an outfitter with clients who have no idea where the line is.

Do you have Purple paint laws in Ohio? Painting is much easier but I'd also include some posted signs to reinforce it. Don't get the Tyvex paper signs or plan on replacing them every few years. I know that from experience. Might be better on a plywood backer. I'm going to repaint everything this winter/spring before green up and put up plastic signs. I like the flagging tape idea too, brings attention to everything.