Plug Planting question

sandbur

5 year old buck +
does one have to worry about J rooting when planting plugs or do they hold together pretty well?

Pull up on them a bit after seating them or does that create an air space?

Just place in hole and step on both sides of them/ call it good?

I used to place bare roots deep in the hole and then pull up just a bit to reduce j rooting.

The plug is it's own little package. You just make the hole deep enough to accept it and drop the tree in. I heel them in on one or two sides depending how much space there is in the hole and how soft the dirt is. Sometimes you can just moosh one side and it locks the plug in good.

I made the tools longer than the plugs because sometimes you plant in duff and it prevents you from needing to scrape it off first.

does one have to worry about J rooting when planting plugs or do they hold together pretty well?

Pull up on them a bit after seating them or does that create an air space?

Just place in hole and step on both sides of them/ call it good?

I used to place bare roots deep in the hole and then pull up just a bit to reduce j rooting.
What kind of tool are you using?

One of mine.

The plug is it's own little package. You just make the hole deep enough to accept it and drop the tree in. I heel them in on one or two sides depending how much space there is in the hole and how soft the dirt is. Sometimes you can just moosh one side and it locks the plug in good.

I made the tools longer than the plugs because sometimes you plant in duff and it prevents you from needing to scrape it off first.

Thank you for the information. All new to me!

What kind of tool are you using?

IMG_9304.JPG

Well made and just the right length for short people.