Planting my Rd Screen

Erik Hendricks

5 year old buck +
IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1453.JPG
Had 2 of my kids and my 2 nieces out this past weekend helping me transplant 30 Norway Spruce trees from the yard to the bean field. The rd is just on the other side of the brush to the left in the last picture. Hopefully in a few years these will be tall enough to screen the cars and I can get some daylight activity on this field. I have Jack Pine and White Pine planet in the weeds that I planted this past spring. I will be doing some hybrid poplar cuttings this spring and maybe some dogwoods and other shrubs also. Corn will be around the edges next yr and that will help.

Looks like a fun time!

Those Norways look nice. How long had you been growing them in the yard?

Those Norways look nice. How long had you been growing them in the yard?

They were planted 2 or 3 years ago. Not in a great spot either. Wanted them in a spot that would be easy to dig and not worry about leaving a mess. Norway Spruce are awesome growers if they get some sun. I hope they really take off in this spot. I sprayed it the last 2 years so I think it should be good to go.

Looks like a fun time!

It was great. I wasn't sure if I'd get any work done with having them all out there together. My two kids are 2 and 3 years old but they loved it and my son wanted to help. Figured he'd be trying to go explore the woods or loose interest in digging holes after the first five minutes and we'd have to go back but it worked out great.

Great Picks Erik, always fun to see kids out helping dad. Conservationist in training!

Looks like you had some good help. Looks like a good plan.

Great pictures! Enjoy the kids while they are little.

Great for family projects! Good for you to get them involved. My kids like to name their favorites :)

If you can, put some kind of weed protection around them to let the roots grow strong/faster. Lots of options with carpet squares, Lumite, etc... A small percentage of mine were browsed the 1st year too, I now spray EVERY new planting with Deer Stopper concentrate (from Amazon) 3-4 times a year for that 1st year.

Love to see the kids helping.

I know what you mean when you say they might loose interest in the first 10 minutes. Every once in a while you get lucky and they let you get some work done :)

-John

Great for family projects! Good for you to get them involved. My kids like to name their favorites :)

If you can, put some kind of weed protection around them to let the roots grow strong/faster. Lots of options with carpet squares, Lumite, etc... A small percentage of mine were browsed the 1st year too, I now spray EVERY new planting with Deer Stopper concentrate (from Amazon) 3-4 times a year for that 1st year.

I sprayed it 2 times this summer and the green plants that are growing are low laying plants that won't compete for sun but you have a point with root growth. I've used old beer and pop (soda for you non Minnesotans) cases in the past for my apple trees. My biggest fear is bucks rubbing them. Our deer numbers are very low so browsing is not a big concern. We have 12 acres of standing beans for deer along with green plots so hopefully they eat that rather than my spruce but we all know how that goes!