Planting Fescue - Now or wait?

LarryBud

Yearling... With promise
Hi Folks,

I had some dozer work done late last fall. As a result, I need to seed fescue around my pond and in some waterway. It will be around an acre all together but in strips. Last night I worked the up dry hard pan from the dozer work and the winter weather and was wondering if I'd be wasting my time and seed with spring planting

I'm in West MO, just South of KC. It just now is warming up but moisture is very unpredictable. Think I'm better off waiting til fall? I'm afraid it will push up and then get fried by a MO summer. On the other hand, I'd sure like to get the ball rolling.

Why are you wanting fescue? It has zero wildlife value. Cool season grasses are often seeded in the Fall.

Why are you wanting fescue? It has zero wildlife value. Cool season grasses are often seeded in the Fall.
Bank stabilization I assume? I’m in the same boat in my pond bank. I need something that will come up fast and thick. Was really wanting to avoid a turd grass. Was thinking of millet

Plant Fescue in any month with an R in it

Bank stabilization I assume? I’m in the same boat in my pond bank. I need something that will come up fast and thick. Was really wanting to avoid a turd grass. Was thinking of millet

Turd grass….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using Bahia. Had some wildlife value. Not a ton, but more than fescue

It was actually a Missouri Department of Wildlife agent who suggested fescue. He did say he hated to suggest it but..... It's where I will mow it short around the pond for access and in a couple of run in ditches. I need erosion control.

FYI I decided to wait until fall. It's already dry and I know whats coming. Even if I push it up with a few spring rains, it will bake to death this summer,

It was actually a Missouri Department of Wildlife agent who suggested fescue. He did say he hated to suggest it but..... It's where I will mow it short around the pond for access and in a couple of run in ditches. I need erosion control.

FYI I decided to wait until fall. It's already dry and I know whats coming. Even if I push it up with a few spring rains, it will bake to death this summer,
Use browntop millet for now then. Plant it heavy like 30lbs/acre. Can mow it like a turf grass.