Planting bare root trees in fiber pots this February

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Hello
I have ordered about 80 trees bare root from Georgia to be delivered in February ( Willis orchards)

I plan on if the weather is inclement to plant them in fiber pots, keep the watered and above freezing in my garage.

I can give them light, I could put some in a warmer sunnier location.

Willis orchards wants me to plant them directly, with no fertilizer for the one year warranty.

my potting mix tested 7.3 ph.

I am thinking to prefill the pots half full and irrigation the soil with dilute mir acid miracle grow. Then pot them with un fertilized soil directly touching the roots.

any advice appreciated
thanks in advance

I would plant them as recommended by nursery and surround each with a bag of mulch

bill

Hello
I have ordered about 80 trees bare root from Georgia to be delivered in February ( Willis orchards)

I plan on if the weather is inclement to plant them in fiber pots, keep the watered and above freezing in my garage.

I can give them light, I could put some in a warmer sunnier location.

Willis orchards wants me to plant them directly, with no fertilizer for the one year warranty.

my potting mix tested 7.3 ph.

I am thinking to prefill the pots half full and irrigation the soil with dilute mir acid miracle grow. Then pot them with un fertilized soil directly touching the roots.

any advice appreciated
thanks in advance
I don't see any benefit in plant them in fiber plots. I'd direct plant them.

It all depends if it is conducive to planting in late February.

I am not going to be able to take shipment in March, as I work away from home in March.

I have a bunch of holes, and cages ready to go.

the dirt is in the garage waiting.

You can just heal them in if you've got some garden space. The problem with above ground pots is possible root freeze if you keep them outside and possible breaking of dormancy if you keep them in say a garage in the dark but get a warm spell.

Planning ahead is a good thing. I have planted apple rootstock in 3 gal Rootmaker II containers, started them indoors under lights, and then kept them on my deck for a season to give them TLC and build better roots, but you have to have a cold room with some level of temperature control to over winter them until you can plant them. I would not do this without root pruning containers. If you just want to keep them for a couple weeks and can control temperature to make sure the roots don't freeze hard, your pots will work as you wont' really get any root growth during that period of dormancy. You just need to get them in the ground before they break dormancy.

Thanks,

Jack

I planned on the five gallon pots, then I will just cut the bottom off them and let the sides weaken and decay.

that way I don’t monkey with another transplant event. Next time I will order from Michigan or Wisconsin etc.

I was misled I believe at first ; I.e. that bare root trees are impervious to freezing.

I would have never ordered from Georgia if I knew then what I know now!

I planned on the five gallon pots, then I will just cut the bottom off them and let the sides weaken and decay.

that way I don’t monkey with another transplant event. Next time I will order from Michigan or Wisconsin etc.

I was misled I believe at first ; I.e. that bare root trees are impervious to freezing.

I would have never ordered from Georgia if I knew then what I know now!

The above ground portion of the trees are not going to suffer from freezing. It is the roots that can't freeze hard. I'm not sure what zone you are in but is sounds like you are in the north. If you get a warm day and can dig a hole, you can put all the trees in one hole with the roots below ground and fill with soil . you can put straw on top for extra protection, but snow functions as an insulator just as well. You just need to plant them before they break dormancy. Keeping them outside with the roots in the soil and the tops above will keep them from breaking dormancy until your weather warms up.

I am in zone 5 a at 5000 feet of elevation. The average February low during the months last week is about 15 degrees.

I am in zone 5 a at 5000 feet of elevation. The average February low during the months last week is about 15 degrees.

Just make sure you plant them before they break dormancy. In my area, 7a, they need to be in by late Feb or early Mar. It would be later in your area.

If I plant the pot they are in. I.E. the fiber pot. Why can’t they be out of dormancy?

thanks

If I plant the pot they are in. I.E. the fiber pot. Why can’t they be out of dormancy?

thanks

Bare root trees, fiber pots or not, will be in the same situation when you plant them. They do best when planted in their final location when completely dormant with time to adapt to the new environment before they break dormancy. The old saying with bare root trees is the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. It takes them that long to acclimate. I'm not saying that it is impossible to plant trees after they have broken dormancy. I'm just saying that the success rate is significantly improved when they are planted fully dormant. Keep in mind that in addition to the soil, there are micro environment considerations. Trees breaking dormancy in one location are stressed when they are moved to another. Planting trees in their final location sooner rather than later in dormancy gives them more time to adapt to the local cues so it breaks dormancy at the right time for that location.

So, I'm describing "best practices". Sometimes you can do everything right and trees will die. Other times, you can make all kinds of mistakes and they will survive. I think one of the reasons guys are telling you to follow the nursery's directions is that they will warrant the trees to survive that first year. Some nurseries will not replace trees if you get too creative in how you plant them.

Thanks,

Jack

I agree totally. The fiber pot is going to be planted with the tree. If the weather gives me the ability to plant them directly I will. But I am prepared either way I guess.

thanks again
john

I purchased some microhyzia , and a vitamin B soluable mineral additive for the water for the trees .

anyone have any experience?

The trees should be here mid week, and I should have 40 degree days to plant the ones I have cages for out side.

I have more. Holes than cages. I Soaked the holes and treated them with gypsum this fall. I dug the holes with a post hole digger and scarified the sides of the holes.

the others will stay in my cold room with the tree seeds that are already potted.

I will heat the room and supply lights and sun late March early April.