Planting After Tilling

mmilanovich

Buck Fawn
I tilled the plots for turnips, radish, rapes. Does it make sense to seed, fertilize and cultipack? Or alternative approach like cultipack or drag before seeding to harden seedbed first?

I’ve not used tiller approach before. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With small seeds you should cultipack before you seed and again after you seed if your planting into soft ground so the seeds don't wind up too deep.

With small seeds you should cultipack before you seed and again after you seed if your planting into soft ground so the seeds don't wind up too deep.
X2, brassicas only need to be planted 1/4" deep

Don’t know where you’re located but if you have time it might be best to wait two weeks and spray all the weeds that germinate then spread your seed.

I tilled the plots for turnips, radish, rapes. Does it make sense to seed, fertilize and cultipack? Or alternative approach like cultipack or drag before seeding to harden seedbed first?

I’ve not used tiller approach before. Thanks for your feedback.

You didn't need to till in the first place for those crops. Check out the Throw n Mow thread for good techniques.

Thanks for the help guys

You didn't need to till in the first place for those crops. Check out the Throw n Mow thread for good techniques.
Maybe he didn’t or maybe he did need to till. We don’t know his soil conditions. If it was crusted hard clay he certainly would need to do something. I am going to have a serious issue trying to TNM anything in my dirt right now.

min-till is sufficient for crusted hard clay with those crops. I do it all the time. I have marginal soils with heavy clay. It would crust regularly and I needed to break the crust. Tiller held high barely hit the top inch. After building O&M with T&M, crusting is minimal.

If I ran my tiller with full weight on it right now, I would be lucky to get 1 1/2” deep. Three passes - maybe four inches deep. I dont know if it is my soil or my technique - but if I only had one or two foodplots and wanted my best chance of success - it would be with some kind of tillage. I am one for six on tnm. My success is five times that with at least some type of minimum tillage

If I ran my tiller with full weight on it right now, I would be lucky to get 1 1/2” deep. Three passes - maybe four inches deep. I dont know if it is my soil or my technique - but if I only had one or two foodplots and wanted my best chance of success - it would be with some kind of tillage. I am one for six on tnm. My success is five times that with at least some type of minimum tillage
Short-term gain....long term pain....

Light tillage that does not disturb soil tilth or introduce O2 to accelerate OM consumption is fine. Some soils do need it at RIT pointed out.