Planting Acorns

roymunson

5 year old buck +
My sons and I float tested some acorns we picked up, plan is to try to grow something out of them. My question is, after I float tested them, they've been in a wet paper towel in a bag in the fridge since the end of September. I checked them the other day and I have radicles on them.

I was going to direct plant them next spring and maybe tube them on a hillside behind the house where I can't maintain them very well. Plant a bunch and wish them the best of luck.

I didn't plan on them spouting like this. But I haven't messed with this very much. Any tips? Am I ok on them?

My sons and I float tested some acorns we picked up, plan is to try to grow something out of them. My question is, after I float tested them, they've been in a wet paper towel in a bag in the fridge since the end of September. I checked them the other day and I have radicles on them.

I was going to direct plant them next spring and maybe tube them on a hillside behind the house where I can't maintain them very well. Plant a bunch and wish them the best of luck.

I didn't plan on them spouting like this. But I haven't messed with this very much. Any tips? Am I ok on them?

Most likely white oak variety

Plant those some beaches!!!!!

Perhaps Oakseeds will see thread and weigh in

bill

I would probably plant them and mark the spot with utility flags then next summer tube any that germinate. I like about 2” deep on direct seeding acorns. I even read one scientific paper where they planted them at 4” deep it helped saved them from predation but I think it reduce the germination rate at that debt if memory serves.

I had radicals on all white oak varieties last fall/winter. We still kept them in the refrigerator until March then planted. If you’re prepared to protect them from squirrels now then go ahead and plant them. If not, no harm waiting until the last frost.

If you have extra try planting some now and some next spring to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had radicals on all white oak varieties last fall/winter. We still kept them in the refrigerator until March then planted. If you’re prepared to protect them from squirrels now then go ahead and plant them. If not, no harm waiting until the last frost.

If you have extra try planting some now and some next spring to compare.

I'll be better prepared next spring. I didn't know if I'll get myself in trouble sitting on them this fall

I'll be better prepared next spring. I didn't know if I'll get myself in trouble sitting on them this fall

From my limited experience you should be fine.

Wait until next spring, you will be fine.