Pine straw rake good for food plots?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Guy is selling a new in box titan straw rake for $100. Its tempting.

IS this device any good for scratching existing plots for broadcast seeding. prep. Putting oats in an existing clover plot?

Might be good for breaking in new spots after initial mowing. My spots do get a good bit of leaves

I have a york rake already.

I think a york rake would be a much better tool for the little bit of scratching it takes for T&M. I think it is a good deal if you need to collect pine straw for something. I could see folks on pine farms using it to gather straw as mulch for planted trees.

I bought a 60" Titan pine straw rake in late 2020. It works great for raking pine straw. I don't think it would do much besides rake pine straw or possibly leaves. How deep are you looking to scratch? When you lower the rake, as you move forward the tines tend to drag behind the rake, bounce forward a few inches, and start the process over again. I haven't noticed it tearing into the ground during use. For that price though, you could always test it and then sell it for a profit or at least get your money back.

Last edited:
Im leaning towards passing. Look at facebook marketplace and see tons of stuff you think you need every day........

MYyreal trouble with minimally invasive food plotting is my home plot. Hard clay, poor drainage, and decades of sod. Turning it around bit by bit. Just dug out the drainage channel better yeasterday.

Im leaning towards passing. Look at facebook marketplace and see tons of stuff you think you need every day........

MYyreal trouble with minimally invasive food plotting is my home plot. Hard clay, poor drainage, and decades of sod. Turning it around bit by bit. Just dug out the drainage channel better yeasterday.
I have heavy clay soils. I had to use min-till techniques for a number of years because the clay would crust. I would use a tiller lifted with the 3-pt hitch, not riding on the skids. I'd lower it until only the top inch or soil was hit by the tines. This worked quite well. It broke up the crust and let me surface broadcast and cultipack. Eventually (quite a few years later), I had built enough OM into the soil that I don't need to min-till it any more. Mixing and cycling grasses and legumes is the best way to build OM over time.

I'd be tempted to try that as a leaf rake.. Would be a nice time saver for my 1/4 acre hidey hole plot!